Door alignment

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:23 am
I just bought a 05 Silverado ext cab, the truck is in great shape but the rear driver side door has sagged and is rubbing at the top with the front door. I just put new pins on it but they didn't help the sagging issue. How do I go about getting the door back to where it it is supposed to be?
Attachments
20170909_161616.jpg
20170909_161622.jpg
20170909_161610.jpg

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:38 pm
for what its worth it looks to me its been damaged. in the one picture of the glass fit, right were the tree limb is it looks like it was damaged there and not fixed good. you can still see the bend slightly. the upper forward corner looks like it was damaged and not fixed properly. and the pant job has really heavy orange peel. you can bend theses doors at the hinge area but it will affect the all of the alinement. yours looks good on the lower part, the body line looks good as does the two tone line. that's another reason for the damage assessment. to fix its probably going to need some body work and most likely paint. after looking at your pictures more it looks like the drivers door is the one that's sagged that's the most common problem.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:31 pm
You can try moving the top hinge forward a little bit by loosening the mounting bolts but go in small increments so you can see the effect.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:29 pm
i'm not sure about the 05 but 02's are welded on but my 2010 is bolted.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:14 pm
Try lifting up on the driver's door, to see if there's any 'play'.
I agree it looks like the driver/front door has dropped down.
Might be as simple as installing new hinge pins and bushings in
the front door...
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:35 am
Its definitely the rear door that's sagged, there isn't any play and the seams are even on the front door. The hinges on this truck are all welded. I'll try to get better pictures of the seams and a comparison with the passenger side of the truck.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:36 am
First picture:
Looking at the bottom of the doors where they align with the rocker panel indicates its the front door that's sagging. You can see the bottom back edge of the front door is lower than the rear door. Also, notice the color change line is lower on the front door, then look at the alignment along the roof line and see that it is again the front door.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:42 am
Yeah, I'd agree with Coronet....doesn't really make sense that the rear door is sagging anyway because you would be hitting at the "bottom" of the doors, not the top. Did you replace the pins/hardware on the front door?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:04 pm
It's definitely the rear door, I measured the front seam and it's only out by a 1/16 or less. The rear is a different story. Here are measurements of the rear seam to cab and the bottom seam.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:38 pm
it almost looks like someone put a new door skin on and didn't get it lined up properly. the door edges and upper corners aren't sharp and crisp like a factory edge. i'm also thinking the front door is the one you want to adjust. I think you have several things working against you, but try this. open the front door just enough to get a hold of the lower back corner and lift like your lifting a 100 weight. close the door and see how it fits. I have a tool that does this but just lifting the door up will spring it in position. it will push the top forward and the bottom back just a little.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint