94 Accord, Best Way to Pull Rear Body Dent?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:31 pm
Hey guys! Just made an account here, figured it would be best to ask a specific forum for this.

I was rear ended by an uninsured driver, my insurance was going to total my car from this. However, it's not at all a bad hit. The only actual damage sustained was: the bumper top support was bent, the taillight was slightly cracked, and the driver's side fender mount was pushed in about 1-2 inches. As a result the rear drivers side taillight doesn't match up with the trunk any more. :cry:

Therefore I got a check for what the cost would be for the bumper and taillight. And I will have to repair the body damage myself.

Pictures:
Damage right after the collision:

Driver's side rear bumper mount, notice the pushed-in lower "frame end":

Passenger's side rear bumper mount, for reference.

Apparent cause of pushed-in lower "frame end": Look at the sides of the "end" and you can see they were bowed out much more than usual.

Now I didn't have enough time to get a shot of the rear bumper reinforcement not matching up with the top hole on the rear bumper mount. But as stated previously it was around 1-2 inches that the upper mount was pushed in (causing that taillight to not line up with the trunk).

I did have time to take a shot of the rear, and if you zoom on on the rear bumper mount you can see it is pushed in at almost a 15 degree angle compared to the trunk:

The passenger's side is straight compared to the trunk.

Now then going back to this image:

Can i use a slide hammer (using the top bumper mounting hole) and pull the metal back to straight? If so what size of hammer?

What could I use to get that lower bumper mount back into straight form?

I don't care if the metal is 100% straight just so that the tail light and rear bumper line up like they should. There are some other smaller dents under the taillight. Looked like his cattle-guard hit the taillight and cracked it / pushed it in.

Also, I have gotten a new rear bumper reinforcement and bumper skin, all i really need to do is pull these dents out and then get an upper bumper cover bracket from a local junkyard... Any help would be appreciated :worthy:

P.S. what would it roughly cost just to bring in the car stripped down like this to a shop and have them straighten it for me? (I live in DFW, Texas)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:48 am
a slide hammer isn't going to do it unless its a really big one, you need to take it to a body shop and see what they would charge to pull it out around here its about 75.00 an hour, depending. some dents are quite involved some aren't your looks to be a simple one.
heres the cowboy way you might try. put the bumper mount on and hook a chain to it then to a good sized pickup and see if you can pull it out. the idea is to pull out the same way it was pushed in you may need to anchor the other end of the car down. the way the car bodies are made makes it very difficult to pull, it takes a lot of force.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:06 pm
badsix wrote:a slide hammer isn't going to do it unless its a really big one, you need to take it to a body shop and see what they would charge to pull it out around here its about 75.00 an hour, depending. some dents are quite involved some aren't your looks to be a simple one.
heres the cowboy way you might try. put the bumper mount on and hook a chain to it then to a good sized pickup and see if you can pull it out. the idea is to pull out the same way it was pushed in you may need to anchor the other end of the car down. the way the car bodies are made makes it very difficult to pull, it takes a lot of force.
Jay D.

Thanks for the response :goodpost:

I took it down to a shop and they said it would be $200 to "roll the panel back" and reassemble. Thanks again!

Return to Body and Paint