Need advice on what paint to use for 1968 Mustang Interior

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:10 pm
Hello Everyone,
I'm getting close to painting the interior on my 68' Mustang and initially thought to use a BC/CC system and then add some flattening agent to the clear to get a satin finish as was correct for 1968 Mustangs. Then I thought maybe I could just use a single stage like PPG Shopline Acrylic Urethane that had a satin sheen, so, I called the local PPG paint shop to see what they recommended and had available just to get an idea of price and options. Also, the main reason I was planning to use PPG is because they are local for me. So after talking on the phone to the local PPG rep at this local store, who I'm sure is very knowledgeable since he's been there for 30 plus years and everyone in the metro Detroit area use them (very nice guy), he told me that a lot of the older interior colors can only be matched in only certain paints based on those old paint codes. In this case, I believe he said an Enamel. He said the newer PPG paints (Deltron, Shopline, Global) just don't cross reference with the old codes. Below is an image of the old Ditzler code, Circled is what I need in a satin finish.
What's your advice on how I can duplicate this color in a satin finish. It DOES NOT have to be conquers correct paint or even a PPG product, just the right color and sheen.

Thanks for your advice.
Attachments
interior-paint-01.jpg
1968 Ford Ditzler PPG code

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:25 pm
When doing my 68 Coronet R/T, I used Diamont Base and Clear. They had special mixing instructions for shooting the interior that didn't require clear coat.

DIAMONT BASECOAT

INTERIOR (no clear or flex agents needed)

Mixing Ratio Instructions 1 part Diamont basecoat
10% hardener (DH42 or DH46)
75% - 100% UR reducer

This worked great for me and gave that satin look.

You might look into the Tech Sheet for your base coat and see if they have something similar. Check the online PPG tech line as well.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint