Basecoat RGB and CMYK

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:47 pm
I stumbled across this site that described a color in terms of RGB and CMYK components:

https://www.beautycolorcode.com/d40000

I'm interested in learning more about the differences between various shades of a given color. For example: What makes Torch Red different from Red Hot... and so on.

Questions:

1) Is this the standard method of specifying colors? What do the paint shops use when determining what bases to mix to get a particular color? How is the "recipe" for a particular paint code specified?

2) Should this information be available for any color that my local jobber can mix up for me? I'd expect that I should be able to find the colors I like in the paint chip book and they could provide me with the component colors they use to create them. Is that right? Is that something you can normally ask for? Or are some colors a "secret recipe"?

Thanks,
Sal
Last edited by ssanto on Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:23 pm
You are wayyyyyyy.....over analyzing this..... (1.) Drive around, find color you like in an existing paint code, (2.) Have jobber mix paint code, apply paint, (3.)Enjoy new ride!
Only tip I'd give you on paint selection..... I don't base any decision to paint a whole car on paint chips/samples. I like to see the whole car, preferably in a shape of vehicle similar to what I'm building/restoring.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:24 pm
I will say that Torch Red will probably not be a good color on a 68 Camaro. Ive painted the wheels on my wifes 55 T Bird Torch Red and it is very very bright red. Will look good on the very rounded panels of a 55 Bird but Im not sure it will look good on the flatter panels of a Camaro. Maybe one shade darker would do it.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:00 pm
CMYK is for printed media and RGB is a color model generally used for display devices.

The recipes are not secret (maybe some of the specialty colors are, like the "Foose" branded colors...not sure), and the jobber shouldn't have an issue telling you what the quantities and names of the tints are that go into the color you choose.

Not sure what you do with that, though. It will be stated in terms of the system the jobber is using, not RGB or CMYK values.

Going the other direction, if you had a (calibrated) glossy printout of a color you like then the jobber should be able to scan it with a photo-spectrometer for his system and tell you the formula required -- again for his mixing system.

If your goal really is to find a color you like for your car, your best bet is to find an already existing vehicle and get the paint code from it, as has been suggested already.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:51 am
1949.jpg
i'm with the guys above, look around and find a car that's got the color your looking for then get the code and your in. i do like stealth red its a bright red, toner red is good its a little darker. picture is my 53 in Stealth red.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint