Base coat Now Mismatching

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:14 pm
Hey guys, new guy here. Im in the process of bc/cc my harleys tins and im running into the issue of the basecoat mismatching after respeaying. Its a metallic base coat called sable black. I sprayed the first time around and it came out great, except I went a little light on the BC in one spot on the tank...you could see primer showing through. Below is a picture of the tank for COLOR reference....that is the color I want.

So i sanded the whole thing down with 600 and redid the BC/CC.
This time it came out a totally different color almost, a lot more brown to it. I let it bake in the sun all day thinking it would darken up when the solvents get out...nothing. So I figured maybe i over reduced it or the undercoat was throwing it off. For the third time, i started all over again, reprimed it and reshot it not using as much reducer, same thing! Here is what the color is now.

Im also doing ghost flames on the bike and have a seperate jar of the same exact color. Is it possible that I didnt mix/shake the can enough the first time? The colors are now way off. TYIA.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:55 am
if the paint in those two cans is from the same manufacturer and same paint code, id say something happened when it was mixed at the jobber.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:58 am
Yes, somebody messed up.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:53 pm
Thanks for the reply guys. The top on the left (unused can) is the color the top on the right (used can) use to be when I first got it. Same color code mixed on the same day. Im thinking I didnt shake the can enough the first time and the color is now thrown off.

Going back to the auto body store today.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:00 pm
I've read some cans/tech sheets that said that you HAVE to stir them thoroughly, and that shaking alone isn't enough. For the life of me I can't remember what paint it was, but I know I've seen that somewhere.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:53 pm
Kingst3r wrote:Going back to the auto body store today.

what did ya find out?

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:03 am
Thanks for the replys guys. Turns out shaking the paint wasnt enough, you have to really stir the paint and scrape the bottom to mix the metallics. I originally poured off all the darker color, then when I mixed it the second time, it brought more of the metallics into it....thus changing the color. You could really see this in my unused can, scrape the bottom of the can and you get a stick full of metallics.

Return to Body and Paint