[help] Single Stage

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:05 pm
Lacquer thinner gets the gun clean (it will even remove dried clear coat if you soak it) and if you buy it in 5 gallon pails from your local jobber it is much less expensive.

I transfer some into a gallon can to keep near the spray bench. I have another can where I keep used lacquer thinner. When cleaning a gun I will pour the used thinner through the paint strainer into the gun and rinse out the bulk of the remaining material.
Then I use clean thinner to soak the cap and nozzle in while finishing cleaning the gun and cup. Wipe everything down good and reassemble. Rinse one last time with a small amount of new thinner and it's ready for next use.

By the way, the used lacquer thinner also works well to clean filler off the applicators.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:24 pm
:goodpost: we think alike!
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:54 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Lacquer thinner gets the gun clean (it will even remove dried clear coat if you soak it) and if you buy it in 5 gallon pails from your local jobber it is much less expensive.

I transfer some into a gallon can to keep near the spray bench. I have another can where I keep used lacquer thinner. When cleaning a gun I will pour the used thinner through the paint strainer into the gun and rinse out the bulk of the remaining material.
Then I use clean thinner to soak the cap and nozzle in while finishing cleaning the gun and cup. Wipe everything down good and reassemble. Rinse one last time with a small amount of new thinner and it's ready for next use.

By the way, the used lacquer thinner also works well to clean filler off the applicators.

if you use plastic spreaders leave them in the left over filler till it dries and the spreader will peel out of it clean as new.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:00 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Lacquer thinner gets the gun clean (it will even remove dried clear coat if you soak it) and if you buy it in 5 gallon pails from your local jobber it is much less expensive.

this is what I do, although I don't buy in 5gal pails..i buy 1gal cans.
good to see I figured out a good way to clean on my own haha

anyway.. my progress on the car got halted by the dang Michigan weather.. nothing but cold temps from here on out it looks like. My garage is unheated but I hate leaving the project sit all winter... so I'm thinking about slapping a space heater in there to bring up the temp to 70's and finish it up.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint