How to tackle a massive hail job?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:51 pm
All, I bought an old S55 AMG Mercedes at salvage auction. It was hit by hail and has some secondary damage to the drivers side quarter panel. The hail is pretty severe. I tried my hand at pdr and got a few of the smaller dents out but the majority still exist.

I'm trying to figure out how to best fix it. A friend of mine who works in collision repair says that the dents need to be metal worked as they are too deep and he would be concerned about me doing it because I might stretch the metal too much the other way.

My first choice would be to find a black Mercedes parts car and swap all the bolt on panels out so that I can limit the paint and body to the roof and quarters. This has proven to be somewhat of a challenge so now I'm thinking of having a go during the holiday. I really have nothing to loose on the bolt on panels as they are replaceable and look like crap anyway. I'd love to get your opinion on how to best approach of job of this scale.

Here is a video that gives a good idea of what I'm dealing with in regards to the damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDziJylA66Q&t=79s

Many thanks

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:34 pm
Here's a suggestion, I would try a stud gun. you'll need to get good nails for it, there are flat headed and round headed I've had the best luck with the round ones. some of the dents look like they may have stretched the metal, you can shrink it with the stud gun if you get the shrinking tip. I would try one stud right in the center of some of the shallower dents and see what it does just the heat from one stud will shrink it a little. there use to be a gizmo that looked like reverse pliers that griped the nail the other end had a big circle like a big washer. the washer went on the body when you griped the pliers it would pull the dent up through the washer.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:49 pm
Thank you, I have a stud welder but I seem to burn through the metal with it.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:54 am
good nails and clean surfaces, body and gun will help with the burn through. also watch your trigger time. another trick is to attach the slide hammer to the stud then pull with the hammer. at the same time using a flat body hammer, hammer around the dent. when a dent like this is made it raises the outer edge of the dent area.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:40 pm
I just did a Miata with massive hail damage. It's a race car so I didn't want to get new panels unless I needed. Used studs and hammer/dolly. The hood was still pretty rippled and one fender needs replacement from substantial collision damage but rest turned out well for the intended app. It took a ton of time, a gallon of Z Grip mud a gallon of Tamco 2k high build (as sealer too) and some Evercoat glaze. Most of the mud and much of the high build ended up on the floor. If you've got more time than money (and the tools already) it could be a way to do it. If you can't spare the time you should look at some replacement panels.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:44 pm
Thanks, I ended up buying a 2003 S500 parts car which will donate the hood, doors and fenders. I will try to sell the rest to recover my money which will leave the trunk, roof and quarter panels.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:55 am
on your roof panel your going to want to remove the head liner, after that use a soft sanding pad a some 180 and lightly sand the inner side this will show all the dents inward from the hail. I sometimes use a rubber sanding pad about a 1/4 " thick and a ballpein hammer. lay the pad over the dent and strike it with the hammer it takes a few to get use to it but it work quite well. you may need to hit it lightly with your shrinking head on your stud gun.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint