How to get to bare metal

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:08 pm
Hello,

Let me begin by saying my name is Andrew and this is my first post here. I have read a few topics from here during my research, but i actually decided to register and post for the first time. Ive never attemped ever painting beyond a brush lol. Well i have rattle canned a few stuff back in the past. Anyways, after watching a lot of videos and reading a lot of stuff (probably a collective of 20 hours, which to you whos reading this, thats absoultely nothing) gaining knowledge upon painting cars. I have a 1981 BMW 320i i want to spray down, (but ultimately would love to spray my 2002 as my 320i is its guinea pig) but ofcourse it was rust issues and im stuck in the midst of all those. I know how to weld, and have a mig so i can cover my bases upon sheet metal work.

So after my hours and hours of learning i decided to take this task upon myself. Im also learning as most things, youtube makes it seem so easy lol. But im dedicated and truthfully would like to finish this off the correct way as i have a lot of pride into what i put out.... or try to... I also understand ill make mistakes as i have no problem doing that with my little guinea pig Darla.

So today i pulled off my front end and decided to just start simple with the front valance. I started at 80 grit, and quickly went to 40 on an 5" orbital sander. I realized that this is hell and remembered i had one of these. (https://www.maxxicon.com/images/product ... s/92_0.jpg) checked the internet and saw a few possitive reviews and about it and proceeded to use that upon an angle grinder. Which brings me to question 1, is this disc ok? I clamped it and took my time using light force as i realized it was heating the thin sheetmetal and i didnt want to warp it. After hitting it with all the spots i could reach in, i got a multi tool and tried to clean up the rest. Which leads me to this. Attached is a picture of the back side of the valance(bare metal and some paint). Whats the best way to get to bare metal in this spot, and the rest of the hard to reach places? It just just seem like the sander/tools i have will work. Should i use paint thinner? Also, last but not least for my final question. once i get it all done to bare metal, some of it will be hit at 40, 80, and that disc. I need to resand and make all the same grit before primer correct? Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

PS: I understand im not going to pull off anything near a sema paint job, let alone maaco, but i truthfully would like to do it the correct way. So if using paint thinners will be harmful for this piece, the grinder is to rough, etc. Please let me know and educate me.
Attachments
20171010_173512.jpg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:14 am
Welcome.

I suggest you continue to read the Sticky Posts at the top of this forum (and others) as well as the articles on the Info Center page.

All the steps are quite well outlined and the varying methods discussed.

It is much better to read first and experiment later. You will save yourself time and money by doing so.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:06 am
If the coating on the backside is in good condition why worry about it? Spend your time on the shiny side.

If you are going full resto then a sandblaster is needed.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:29 am
Media blasting is the best.

Upper Grille Support Before:
Grill-upperfillpanelrust1.jpg

After first round of blasting (still need touch up):
Grill-upperfillpanelblasted.jpg

Painted and test fitted:
Grille Support Fitting.JPG
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint