Do moisture bubbles under paint stay dormant if unprovoked?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:28 pm
I had a truck painted by Maaco a little while ago, it was kind of an emergency situation because I had the truck in primer and my painter bailed on me. Anyway, overall it’s a decent job but there’s a few spots with a group of bubbles, which I was told is moisture under the paint. My friend told me that he had the same issue, and he was told by someone else that the bubbles will stay dormant since they’re not exposed to air. Is this true?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:42 pm
If it's moisture, it'll freeze in cold weather.
And I think I know what that will cause.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:07 pm
I was thinking the same exact thing myself, but my friend said he had the same thing and it didn’t get worse

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:23 pm
Water, frozen, expands,.....heat it and it goes to gas, expands....seeing a theme here? Even if it doesn't completely freeze or gas it's flexing the paint over and over....something will have to give and that is usually the paint package. Just curious...why did they say you have moisture under your paint????
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:34 pm
Maaco completely denies there’s anything wrong with it, they just say “it’s” normal and nothing to worry about. I already had it back once to “fix” dust they left in the paint, and they did a terrible detail job that I paid someone else to fix. I asked my friend about the bubbles and he said it looks like what’s on his truck which someone else said was moisture. Once it eventually fails (which I’m hoping isn’t soon) I’m going to take it back, because the paint plan I got has a 5 year warrenty. I’m going to try and get a partial refund once that time comes, but if they decide they want to try and fix it I’m just going to cut my losses rather then deal with them again. It’s hard finding people that do repaints because there’s no money in it, but I’m still going to try. I think my best bet is to buy all the supplies, rent a booth, and hire someone who paints for a company.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:42 am
I don't think it's water......I've known a few guys that did prep. work at these places and it's typical that a couple of guys will quickly wipe down the entire car with a prep. sol type degreaser and immediately slam the car into the paint booth for paint. I think that stuff gets trapped down in the fill work and can't gas out before the paint films start trapping it in..... That's why the bubbles don't freeze in the winter and actually reduce in size. When summer comes along they do try to gas out but if the film is thick enough and temp.s aren't too high the liquid just stays bubbled up in there.
Ha, ha, if you wanted to do a little detective work to confirm that....find a small bubble in an inconspicuous place and hit it with a sewing needle. Squeeze out whatever is in there into a paper towel and smell it immediately....water should have little to no solvent smell but prep. sol type stuff smells more like mineral spirits.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:20 am
Any "bubble" is a defect in the paint and is completely unacceptable. Take it back and have them fix it.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:47 am
i would say it is from pinholes and air inside them expanding, or just plain loss of adhesion
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:37 am
What ever it is, it's bad.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:39 am
they will stay dormant...........

if the vehicle is parked in a controlled temperature garage for the remainder of its life.
and no one touches them.

Maaco completely denies there’s anything wrong with it, they just say “it’s” normal and nothing to worry about.

might be normal for maaco, but ive seen a few paint jobs from hobbiests that painted their vehicles in their garage that didnt have that.
also paint jobs from pros in paint booths without the problem.

maybe their paint jobs werent normal??? :knockout:
Next

Return to Body and Paint