Repaint Advice

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:05 pm
I've painted a handful of cars in the past but they've all been complete jobs starting from scratch (bare metal surface/body filler). I have a late model truck that the factory clear coat is starting to deteriorate and will be a simple same-color repaint with probably no body work.

My plan is to sand the clear off down to the base/primer. Can anyone point me in the right direction with some tips? Since I'm sure it's gonna be a mottled pattern of primer and base after the initial sanding I'm thinking of starting with either a sealer or primer surfacer. Is that necessary? If I wind up applying some filler it seems logical I would need to.

I won't have to paint the bed inside but I assume I should slide the bed back to get proper coverage between the cab and bed. It's a metallic too, which will be my first. Gonna have to practice.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:15 pm
I would just sand it all off. with a peeler you really need to get the base off so by the time you do that 1/2 the primer will be gone. just take it all off use a 8 in. sander with a soft foam pad and 80 grit it go's fast. you can ether do epoxy then the next day spray it with hi build or etch prime let flash then hi build.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:58 am
i chemical strip, but i believe Jay has you pointed in a better direction.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:25 am
nothing wrong with chemical stripping. I use paint stripper a lot, when you get a system worked out it's easy to work with. actually easier than sanding and no dust. only down side is cost and it might be closer than we think.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:29 am
yeah Jay i agree but i think my advice for 69er would be like you said due to the risk of hot spots or getting someplace you dont want the chemical
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:22 pm
Yes, you need to think about what your doing and have a plan. you can't just start slopping it on you'll likely have a mess.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:37 pm
Yeah, I'm gonna stay away from chemical stripping. If it was a bare body shell, yes.

I've been looking a YouTube videos on metallic painting and I think I have it down as far procedures: To avoid mottling keep the coats somewhat light and consistent, at least 50% overlaps, and doing a control coat.

Anything else? (Besides lots of practice?)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:03 pm
you didn't say or maybe I didn't see but you are using B/C ? if you are don't get it to wet and you'll be fine. quality base coat helps here.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:05 am
Yes, BC/CC.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:37 pm
It wont' be as bad as you think with the metallic....I came to this forum 13 years ago so I could get over my fears of shooting metallic. Geez, within a year of getting on here I was doing kandies, marbleizing, faux finishing, ghost flames, ripped metal, etc. Jay is right on the money about not wetting out the metallic. And quality of the base coat really can makes things a lot easier for the shoot.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!
Next

Return to Body and Paint