Satin Clear over Acrylic Lacquer (Rattle Can)

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:41 am
Hey guys... joined the site because I have a guitar project and unfortunately not getting answers at guitar forums.

I have a guitar I want to prime, paint and spray with a satin/matte clear.

I'm looking at rattle cans. Mostly because easier and cheaper, though I do have a 27gal 3hp compressor... if push comes to shove, I can get a spray gun and go that route, but again, it's just 1 guitar at this time and I don't want to be buying paints by the litre and end up costing more than the guitar is worth. :D

Anyways... looking at paints like DupliColors's Perfect Match (intense blue pearl), it's an acrylic lacquer. Also debated a chameleon paint (ie. Rustoleum Colorshift) which also seems to be acrylic lacquer, and I can't seem to find the colour I want, seems no one sells it anymore except as a navy blue to purple. (wanted more a deep sky blue to red/green)

Clear gloss I can find as an acrylic lacquer no problem. Auto section that sells the Perfect Match sells the Gloss. But when I contacted DupliColor, they said they didn't make a satin/matte lacquer. I checked out Rustoleum and Krylon, and seems to be the same deal. Matte clears are enamel.

Figured I'll join here and see if you guys have any advise... I'm sure people have gotten matte/satin cars that weren't just black.

Ideally, I'd want something tough, because the arm will drag across the surface which is why I didn't want to use a gloss and sand it to a satin finish, from what I've read it won't stay satin as long as a paint that was designed to be that way. I'd also like something with UV protection. The Rustoleum Ultra Cover 2x is what I planned to use, but acrylic enamel I believe.

Just looking for some advise/brands...

Still a bit uncertain of the colour I want, the Chrysler Intense Blue Pearl, or Ford's Blue Flame... or a chameleon paint are the front runners. But I want a matte/satin finish. Like a really nice looking car on a frosty winter morning... can see the colour and all the pearl/metallic but that 'frosted' look.

Thanks

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:12 am
you must not have searched very much, I Googled ( MAT CLEAR IN A SPRAY CAN ) and there were several sights. one in particular was StewMac.com they have guitar paints in lacquer shaker cans. clear and mat
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:39 pm
If that dosen't work, check out some boating supply websites. JamestownDistributors.com is a good one. They have several matte clear finishes designed for wooden boat interiors and exteriors.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:39 am
seems if you want a tough, durable finish, lacquer wouldnt be the best choice. it is easier to repair, but not very durable.
to find the color ya want in a urethane, you might want to see if ya have a local jobber( place that sells automotive paint) and see if they load rattle cans.
satin is the way to go for what youre doing. i do a lot of woodworking and spray satin on anything thats going to get wear- table tops and wood floors for instance. the satin hides scratches and gloss shows them off.
but not lacquer.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:06 am
badsix wrote:you must not have searched very much, I Googled ( MAT CLEAR IN A SPRAY CAN ) and there were several sights. one in particular was StewMac.com they have guitar paints in lacquer shaker cans. clear and mat
Jay D.

None of which will/can ship to Canada. also a cost factor... I have seen 1 or 2 that will ship, wanting $60/can.
Last edited by THRobinson on Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:14 am
tomsteve wrote:seems if you want a tough, durable finish, lacquer wouldnt be the best choice. it is easier to repair, but not very durable.
to find the color ya want in a urethane, you might want to see if ya have a local jobber( place that sells automotive paint) and see if they load rattle cans.
satin is the way to go for what youre doing. i do a lot of woodworking and spray satin on anything thats going to get wear- table tops and wood floors for instance. the satin hides scratches and gloss shows them off.
but not lacquer.

I see a lot of the enamels and urethanes on the shelf, but none the same colour as what I am after, so I went to the only local guy that mixes rattle cans and they can do the colour I want, but, lacquer. :S

I figured I'd just go to the car section at Canadian Tire or Walmart, grab a can of the Duplicolor Perfect Match and a can of satin clear and be done... just seems odd that someone like Duplicolor doesn't make one (emailed and asked).

Rustoleum makes one, through the brand of WATCO. But for a guitar, I'm not sure if it's going to be tough enough.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catal ... nish-spray

This is basically what I'm trying to do...
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/20/ce/c7/20ce ... uments.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:54 am
Looking at that example the problem you are going to have with any lacquer coating is that just human touch and wear will start "shining" that flat coating. And by the way, did you notice I said flat. That example is a flat coating, not satin or even eggshell. To match that in a lacquer the finish is going to have to have a lot of aerogel in it to knock it down that much in gloss. More aerogel (those are essentially soaps) the softer the coating. Any hit/scratch or polish is going to "shine" up......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:53 am
Does Flat = Matte?

Heard back from Dupli-Color... said that the enamel is ok to paint over a lacquer, just not the other way around.

I'm trying to stay all within a single brand.

As far as the shining goes, yup, seen a lot of people who did the matte black guitars with that issue, which I'm fine with. I did read that it's better to paint a matte clear over paint, than you just use a matte paint or scotchbrite pad on a clear coat to make it matte because won't last as long, but most sites did warn about arm-polishing.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:20 pm
Yeah, flat and matte are somewhat interchangeable terms. I essentially work in a decorator's world being in the wood refinishing field. All of these terms are thrown around quite loosely.....that being said, I do a lot of what is called "dead flat" with newer furniture. People will spends thousands of dollars on new furniture and will almost immediately start shining it up with scratches, grease, polish, etc.
And yes, generally a clear flat coat is going to be better over a paint effect. It gives you the ability to still offer that clear protection and still be able to add more clear or re-dress that clear if/when damaged.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:29 pm
Thanks for the information.

I guess now I have to make the final decision... matte (that won't stay matte) or go glossy and paint the guitar to look like Eleanor's hood (Gone in 60 Seconds car). Got the paint codes for that.

Other option was colour shift paint, Rustoleum use to make but emailed and asked where it can be purchased and they said no longer in production.

Too much work and time to paint and not like it. :D

Return to Body and Paint