clearcoat sprayed dry? Did clear coat go bad?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Maybe someone on here can give me some advice what I did wrong. Painting a bed on a 08 Silverado. Sprayed the basecoat with Nason Ful Base urethane to match the rest of the truck. Came out perfect no problems what so ever, Went to spray the clear, I used Nason 496-00 spot clear 2k uterthane. Started spraying the clear and it was like it was drying before it even hit the surfac. To the top and bottom of where i was spraying it was laying down this power looking texture. I tried to go over it again hoping it would smooth out, laying it on very heavy but it was no better. The clear had a sandy texture after it cured overnight. Ive sprayed a couple cars before using base\clear and they came out beautiful.
The temp in the garage was about 65 and had been for hours before. I had the can of clear and activator out in the cold garage for a couple months I didnt think it could go bad but maybe. The whole thing felt like sandpaper when I was done, sand it down and try a new can of clear or a different type? Any advice greatly appreciated. I think I will sand down and respray with different clearcoat.
Theres some pictures of before and after I sprayed.
IMG_2394.JPG

IMG_2394.JPG

IMG_2394.JPG

IMG_2394.JPG
Attachments
IMG_2398.JPG
IMG_2397.JPG
IMG_2395.JPG

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:47 pm
Its for as it says spot repair, like just a fender. can be used in hi production shops were they could spray with out a booth overspray after about 8-10 in. wont stick on anything so masking out 12 in is all that's necessary. when you use it you want to move fast to keep it wet. I like to use it on motorcycle tins and other small items. for the box sides get some regular clear you'll be much happier.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:00 am
What activator did you use? Usually that clear is pretty forgiving and at those temps, drying quickly shouldn't be an issue.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:11 am
My guess is the activator went bad. Generally clear and base will be good for years as long as they are sealed tightly. Activator is another story and prone to going bad quicker if exposed to moisture. Look into the can of activator before using as it will become "seedy" looking and lose it clarity when going bad.

I try to seal the activator can immediately after each use just to prevent prolonged exposure to moisture.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:35 pm
497 would have been my pick, the 496 with the slow activator would probably work but might require a little painter knowledge to get it on smooth and flat.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint