Pearl

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:48 pm
Is that 25 ounces of pearl to 1 gallon?
That seems like a lot to me.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:59 pm
I also bought the gold ghost pearl to give it that flip flop effect.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:01 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Is that 25 ounces of pearl to 1 gallon?
That seems like a lot to me.

Sorry, my bad. 25 GRAMS. Big difference, huh ?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:15 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:You have to mix it proportionally to make a smaller amount.
Is that one bag to a RTS gallon of inter-coat clear?
How many ounces in the bag?

I understand proportion but I only dipped a knife blade into the powder and the little that adhered to it colored the reducer dark emerald, not lime. I’m used to the color in the gun being what goes on the car.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:47 pm
Okay, so is that sample color shell from the Paint with Pearl web site? Maybe you do have the wrong color for what you are trying to do. Wrong products do get sent out.... That test with the knife/reducer thing doesn't really mean anything though. You need to get about 1 gram of that stuff dumped into 5 ounces of a clear and do a spray out to see what is going on.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:41 am
BruceR wrote:
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:You have to mix it proportionally to make a smaller amount.
Is that one bag to a RTS gallon of inter-coat clear?
How many ounces in the bag?

I understand proportion but I only dipped a knife blade into the powder and the little that adhered to it colored the reducer dark emerald, not lime. I’m used to the color in the gun being what goes on the car.

Pearls are meant to be sprayed over a color coat to produce the final effect.
The pearl is mixed with an inter-coat clear (clear base coat) that is applied between the base color and the clear coat. Sometimes referred to as a "mid-coat" or "tri-stage" paint.

I would verify that you received the right color pearl first and then verify the proper base color before trying to go much farther.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:49 am
from the website on that pearl:
Lime Green Candy Concentrate: Looks great when sprayed over reflective silver, gold, and metal flakes.Attention: Powders appear different in the bag than when mixed (like the dark green looks blue in the bag).

are ya putting a silver base down?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:58 am
:goodpost: Yeah, you had made this comment before, "I’m used to the color in the gun being what goes on the car." When you talk pearls, metallic, flakes, etc., they are "creations" done by steps. This is why I'd rather see guys working with factory tri-stages first. Once you see and work with several of those complete jobs working with the dry pearl stuff makes more sense and you can start experimenting.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:50 pm
Yes , I’m using a bright silver base coat. Paint with pearl says I need a clear that mixes one to one with reducer, I’m supposed to dissolve 25 grams of the powder in 1gallon of reducer, letting it sit for at least 30 minutes stirring occasionally, then mix with one gallon of clear and spray. They say I can also use clear binder instead of the clear coat. Now, I’ve been around to all the paint suppliers in my area and none of them know of a clear coat that uses reducer, also, to buy that much clear binder would cost me more than the $685.00 per gal. that PPG wants for this paint .

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:20 pm
Harley Davidson also uses something close to this color called Radioactive Green or Radiation Green, there has to be a way I can make this stuff.
Attachments
7875F674-5182-49D7-AA7C-73B3B937549C.jpeg
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint