Paint Blend

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:34 am
How would you blend this paint repair? This is on a racecar not a show car.

I am spraying single stage Omni MTK acrylic urethane.

The blend is a little further into the quarter than I would like. My thought was to tape off a few inches past the primer line, get good coverage over the primer but lighten up as I pass into the quarter?

I have heard to roll the tape line back so that I dont have a hard line? ANY and ALL tips would be appreciated as I have never done a blend. Several small projects but either complete panels or full re-spray.

I have original left over paint so it should be a pretty good match.

There are some areas like under the trunk lip that are not the best metal work. Also the pic looks a little mottled but it has been block sanded with 400 and guide coated.
Attachments
IMG_3211.JPG
IMG_3210.JPG

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:56 am
if it has doors just paint up to the doors, its a race car. blending S/S is no simple mater as done with base coat. yes you can make a soft edge with tape but to go across a quarter or similar it won't look very good. if you try it you can pull the tape right after the last color coat and blend the edge with reducer very carefully. this usually takes a little experience to get the blending agent on just right. but its just a race car not a show queen.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:11 pm
Thanks Jay. Gave me a few things to think about. Couple of follow up questions:

If I do try to blend, what would you recommend on over reduced? I need to pull the tech sheet but I believe it is 4:1:1 (base/reducer/hardener). Would you up that to 4:2:1? 4:3:1?

If I spray to the doors, would I sand the existing paint with 400?

I really wanted to avoid a back half re-spray but that may be the best option.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:29 pm
as said before blending S/S is not as easy as it sounds. you can over reduce your last coat just spraying the tails then you'll need to melt the overspray, you can use reducer for this. timing and experience are needed, you could have a mess. for your reductions it can very depending on type of paint timing temps and so on. just sand from the doors back with 400 and shoot it, it'll look ok .
If it was mine I would probably go to the doors. but here's another scenario soft tape it were it needs to be just out from your primer. spray your first coat up to about 3 in from the tape, second coat just 2in. back, 3rd coat all the way to the tape. pull the tape and dust the soft edge with reducer, you'll want to hurry just rinse the gun one time and then put the reducer in. turn the fluid down on your gun and dust it just enough to make the edge glossy. be carful here as it will want to run on you if you get to heavy with the reducer. you can also just leave the soft edge there and try and buff it smooth in a day or two
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:21 am
Thanks Jay! I know this will be difficult. I looked at the paint last night and two reasons I am hesitant to paint to the doors: (1) the paint has some minor issues in a couple of spots (there is a spider crack on top of the quarter) I am afraid this would project creep into a re-paint of the whole car (2) the pinch welds where the rocker and the quarter connect have been filled in the past. The rocker panel is very high (mid door) at the front because the hood tilts forward. Not sure really where to stop.

I may try your idea of layering to the soft tape line and trying to blend it. I can go back and buff it and if it looks terrible paint the back half of the car.

I also have a race in two weeks and want to get the car back together.

Thanks for the help.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:09 pm
good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:09 pm
Well....it turned out. I will take some pics this weekend and post. It is not horrible but you can see the transition where it is shiny on the new paint and less shiny on the old. Also, there is some dry spray. I think if I buff it, it will be decent.

Its not terrible but I see it.

Thanks for the help.

I still have trouble figuring out amount of paint. For primer, I seem to run short and for color I have a TON left over. Trial and error.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:43 pm
As said S/S doesn't blend very good. it sounds like you did a satisfactory job, that's good for a first timer.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:14 pm
Thanks Jay!

Return to Body and Paint