Tri-stage painting

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:29 pm
tomsteve wrote:
BruceR wrote:I’ve been reading and reading and reading, and yes, I’ve been listening. I simply wanted to know exactly what would happen if I didn’t sand the silver. The reason I ask is because the silver polishes up really well and I thought Id get a better effect when the pearl goes over it, kinda like spraying candy over a chrome bumper. Sorry I’ve gotten everyone riled up.

are ya implying youve polished the silver basecoat?
if you dont sand the silver and apply fresh silver, whatever goes on top will basically fall off-anything that goes on top wont have anything to "bite" into.

No, I didn’t polish the whole base coat, just experimented on one piece, I have the whole truck completely apart. I’ve been using the silver as a guide coat cause I have trouble seeing defects when it’s just the primer, it’s something I read about in Street Rodder magazine. I get it to where it looks pretty good and then I hit it with the silver and all the pits and scratches I missed show up like gangbusters. My eyes ain’t as good as they were 40 years ago. But, point taken on the sanding, it’s gonna peel if I don’t.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:28 pm
way back I use to use leftover base coat or shaker can primer as a guide coat, most of the time it sanded horrible. that's when I went for the powdered guide coat, it works great even when wet sanding.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:47 pm
badsix wrote:way back I use to use leftover base coat or shaker can primer as a guide coat, most of the time it sanded horrible. that's when I went for the powdered guide coat, it works great even when wet sanding.
Jay D.

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31
Previous

Return to Body and Paint