Paint Blend - Panel mismatch Ford F-150

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:32 pm
Hello - I recently had my black 2017 F-150 repaired at a bodyshop. The damage was minor but they did have to replace the front right fender and the driver's side front door skin. They said that they were able to paint the panels off of the truck and would not have to blend them into the rear door and hood. Since they are black and the truck is newer, they rarely blend new black. In direct sunlight I see a variance in the panels. I took it to the shop and was told by the manager he really didn't see a difference. This picture was taken at night with my iPhone and even in that photo, I see a difference. Would should I do? Can you tell the difference in the picture? They think that buffing the other panel that wasn't painted may resolve the issue. I am taking it to them on Thursday for the buff job.
Attachments
IMG_4170.jpg

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:29 pm
Looks to me like they picked the wrong variant. There are several to choose from in those newer Ford blacks, within the same year and color code. Some have a hint of blue, some have a hint of brown, some are dead black.

Depending on how bold you want to be, you could ask them to show you the set of color chip variants for your paint code, from their paint system -- and ask them which one they matched up to the truck as the correct choice.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:53 pm
Thanks Chris! I really appreciate your response. It’s frustrating because I wish they would’ve gotten my vehicle 100% correct. They said they would prior to painting it and performing the work but as you could see, obviously, that is not the case. My guess is that the buffing that they are proposing on the other panel probably will not help. Clearly, as you mentioned, they used the wrong variant but will not own up to it.

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:14 pm
You can fight it but if they already lied you are screwed if you paid cash. If it was an insurance job, just call your adjuster and have it done right. Simple. You can choose the shop you want, contrary to what some adjusters and shops will tell you. Long story short: collision shops can buy into a network, and the insurance customers are referred to them.

I saw this often when I was in collision since the 80's, and see it now in the restoration business. The last for resto jobs I took in were shipped in from out of state because other self-proclaimed restoration shops butchered the cars.

Check out other professional collision sites for more info and data. I would not solely rely on a hobby site.

You should have a copy of your repair estimate, and all repair procedures should be on it. Again, call your adjuster.
Last edited by ScottB on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:19 pm
Chris is right probably wrong variant. I just did this, painted a bumper cover and corner piece for the x daughter in-law. I just went to my jobber and there were 5 or 6 variants, I didn't have the car or a part off of it so I said the one in the middle. I knew better, it wasn't even close. so a freebee just turned into another freebee. dam that was stupid. :cry:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:25 pm
If someone has a poor match, and does not follow professional procedures, then they are novices, or do not possess the ability to do quality work. I've seen people that will make it through one day, and not be asked to come the next because of poor workmanship.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:23 am
it could be the problem occured in the mixing room. a little off on any of the ingredients and color match doesnt match.
personally i dont see the difference, but know pics dont show as good as real life.
im thinkin that blending into surrounding panels would have solved this problem.
hhmmm...they rarely blend new black.
probably only when the difference is caught by the vehicle owner.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:44 am
Definitely see the difference. Top is more blue, bottom is more red/brown. If they promised a match take it back, because it does not match.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:52 am
ScottB wrote:Check out other professional collision sites for more info and data. I would not solely rely on a hobby site.

Yeah and if you are lucky, the "professional collision shop" that turned out that awesome color match will be on that professional forum, to provide more data.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:54 am
Notice how the handle doesn't match the door that it's on, but does match the adjacent panel?

Definately doesn't match, and buffing won't help. Respray with the correct color is the only solution.
Next

Return to Body and Paint