how important is reducer temp/speed?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:42 pm
The temps in my area rarely get above 60 degrees until spring. I have a gallon of medium Valspar reducer (172). I was also sold a gallon of medium basecoat stabilizer. I understand both of these products are to be used over 65 degrees.

I have been told and have read that its best to use the next temp up reducer (medium for cold, slow for 70+ degrees) to let the products flow out. You have to extend the flash times when this is done.

What will happen if I shoot in 55-60F weather with Medium reducers and basecoat stabilizer? Will it just take longer to flash or will it cause problems?

Thanks in advance!
-Bobby

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:44 pm
it takes a lot longer to flash., and your mils per coat will go down so you will probably need more coats to get opacity. There is also a possibility that it may bloom, keep the coats light to avoid this. You may find you need to go down a tip size as well.
regards
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:00 am
Another thing is, it might not stick!

Franco, when you say "Bloom" are you talking about moisture (condensation)?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:28 am
I am not sure if humidity is the cause of it but it might be. The closest thing to describe it would be a fogging of the basecoat, whatever colour it is it turns white like your looking at it through a thick fog.
probably the solvents getting trapped as they are too slow getting out.
hope that sheds some light.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:47 am
I know what you are talking about,,,The best advise I can give is not to spray when it is to cold. Your just asking for trouble...................... :wink:

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:34 pm
That makes sense.... Thanks guys. The painter friend I have shot his car a couple weeks ago (50-55F weather). It was a light green metallic, but he is using Dupont Acrylic Enamel. I'm working with urethane. He told me "Don't worry about it - it drys slower so you have to let if flash longer between coats". It turned out good, I couldn't find any defects.

I think I'll follow your guy's advice though. I'm shooting a dark gray metallic and I think it shows more defects than the lighter colors.

Return to Body and Paint