Highest gloss clear coat? Higher solids better?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:24 am
Im just trying to clear up, some clear coat confusion that i have.
Im trying to decide on a clear for my current project. I wanted to know if higher solids make the clear better, or if there is a way to tell which is better by specs. Each company has about 6 different clears, im sure each has there own advantage.
What i was comparing are the transtar Euro and high gloss to the omni MC161 and the ********** clears.
I have used omni, dupont hyper cure and some off brands. I have had great gloss results with the omni. Just trying to decide to stay w the omni or try our the other options.

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks!

Mike
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:28 pm
GNX423,, What are you trying to accomplish?
A slicker finish,,,or a longer lasting finish?

You can sand and buff any clear to get a awsome shine,,,but you should use a quality high solids clear with enough millage to have a long lasting finish!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:13 pm
GNX from reports from other users, many pro's, and myself (non pro) I think the ********** HS, Universal and MS clears have more of a gloss to them.. With those clears you have to turn the fans off as soon as you are done spraying and the overspray has cleared.. Its not like other clears where you leave the fans on and it flows out more etc.. you will loose gloss leaving the fans on with **********'s.. It wont be any less glossy than what you are accustomed to, but if you do as suggested above you can see the difference..

This is also a loaded question.. Everyone has their favorite clear, and some people just flat dont like ********** for whatever reason they have.. It does get alot of attention, and that alone should tell you something about the products
[Quote from Quincy Jones]

If you want more, Dream more!!!!

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:15 pm
GNX423 wrote:Im just trying to clear up, some clear coat confusion that i have.
Im trying to decide on a clear for my current project. I wanted to know if higher solids make the clear better, or if there is a way to tell which is better by specs. Each company has about 6 different clears, im sure each has there own advantage.
What i was comparing are the transtar Euro and high gloss to the omni MC161 and the ********** clears.
I have used omni, dupont hyper cure and some off brands. I have had great gloss results with the omni. Just trying to decide to stay w the omni or try our the other options.

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks!

Mike
The Classic Transtar is a higher solids than the euro clear. If done right the Classic will be more durable and higher gloss. The euro is for more production shops and sprays much thinner. The highest gloss clears use a top line base resin(less fillers). The best clear I have ever used is Glasurit. **********-hecker is also a top quality clears. I have never yet found a bad brand name clear. For the price I have not found a better clear than Transtar Classic or Max.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:32 pm
I've used about 6 gallons of the Transtar Euro Classic and it's quite good.
However, it does have a slight amber cast (like many clears) but it isn't
noticable or a factor for what i do (collision). DOI is excellent and it sprays
easy enough (but that has more to do with your technique). Solid content
is high too (52% ish). I'd give it an A.

********** Universal is VERY good. Super high gloss but for a first time user,
i'd suggest reducing it a bit 5% - 10%. This clear is CLEAR (no yellow).
I'd rate it an A+.

You can't go wrong with either but i lean towards the ********** Universal.
The support is first rate too. Support with Transtar is also first rate
as i know the area rep.
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:07 am
I use Transtar Classic only, the Euro is different. The Classic comes in a red label the Euro in a blue. Is this right with you.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:54 am
http://www.autobody101.com/forums/about7927.html

7311 is a 2.1 VOC compliant "blue" label (40% solids). 7021 is the 3.5 VOC and it has a "red"
label (50-52% solids). They are both "Euro" Classic Clears. I don't
see a "Transtar Classic Clear" anywhere online. Perhaps, you get
something different in Canada. But both clears are VERY similar
and the same price. Shop price $150 ($151 for the 7021) with activator.
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:26 am
Han, In Canada the red labeled clear is not called Euro anywhere on the can. Must be a canadian thing. I quess Euros are not that politically correct up here.Thanks for the tech view of the clear. I would have thought that the "blue" clear was a higher VOC rating . I'll check out my spec sheets. It sells up here for $130.00 for the kit., Canadian money. Maybe its my discount.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:24 am
Thanks for all of the replies, I really appreciate it...
I have an 86 GN that i am finishing. Currently its stripped to metal, and ready for epoxy. I want something that will have great shine as the car will be black, but it will be driven on the weekends and at the track, so durability is a concern.
Here is a link to the transtar stuff http://www.tat-co.com/productCategory.asp?ID=2
I think that ill order up a quart of ********** to do the jambs and lay some down on an old hood to see how i like it. I can get any of the transtar clears from my local jobber.

Ill put up some pics as I get further into progress on this project.

Thanks again.
Mike

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:37 pm
The more i read about ********** clear the more I'm liking it. I would like the clear to be as clear as clear gets, it just makes sense to me. Not that the other clears don't have their place.

I'm always changing my mind :lol: Do jobbers supply ********** brand or is it only available through the factory? Although i can almost swear i used a waterborne primer made by ********** a while back from a mainly PPG jobber.
Next

Return to Body and Paint