Painting ABS Plastic Parts

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:24 am
Just wanted to say "great site", and I hope you can answer this:

I purchased an HVLP (1.4mm needle) Paint Gun, and want to start painting a body kit that I bought ages ago. (ABS Plastic) I've typed out what I *think* might be the correct process for prepping and painting the part, but, I have absolutely no autobody repair & refinishing experience, so it's all guesses. So please give my 'directions' a read, and tell me if I'm missing any steps, can skip steps, or have any in the wrong order. Also, I need to learn how to prepare my paint for shooting... does anyone know of any good resources? And can I use my HVLP gun to spray Primer, Basecoat, and Clearcoat? Sorry for the long question... I'll be starting my autobody apprenticeship hopefully some time this year...

** Begin Instructions **

Materials needed:

Varsol (Or similar products)
Plastic Primer (With a flex agent)
Tack Cloth
800, 1000, 1500, 2500 Grit WetSand Paper
Wetsand Block
Color-matched paint

Painting Procedure: (Assuming bodywork is complete)

1. Wash part thoroughly + dry with terry cloth
2. With a lint free 'paper' towel, wipe part clean with varsol
3. With 800 Grit wetsand paper, wetsand part to be painted (under constant stream of water) and dry part well when done.
4. With a tack cloth, wipe off entire part
5. Add primer to pain gun, and add a "thin" coat. Let dry, and add another coat. Let dry, and add final coat.
6. With 1000 grit sandpaper, wetsand the primered part (under stream of water) and dry thoroughly.
7. With 1500 grit sandpaper, wetsand the primered part (under stream of water) and dry thoroughly.
8. With a new tack cloth, wipe entire part again.
9. With a lint free towel, wipe part clean with varsol.
10. Part is ready for paint. Apply first coat, and let it partially dry and apply second coat. Let partially dry, and apply a third coat, ensuring the paint is evenly distributed on the part.
11. Let paint cure and set for 2 - 3 days before handling.
12. Wetsand with 2000 grit.
13. Use a rubbing compund to buff the painted part.
14. Apply polish to the paint, then 2 - 3 coats of wax.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:34 am
Bump.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:19 pm
Well, you might get different answers but I've painted every plastic part in my engine, interior and exterior. I used Bulldog adhesion promotor/flex agent before I primer. (sand first). Then I use Flex primer, base coat and clear coat. I will add Bulldog to my clear coat. I've used my spray gun for primer, base and clear, no problem.
Silly boys....Trucks R 4 Girls.

Return to Body and Paint