Used Mineral Spirits For Surface Cleaner. Am I OK?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:59 pm
The vehicle is a 1995 Cargo van that has a lot of scratches, dings, and paint missing in places, many places showing the original primer, and some showing metal with light rust.

I just wanted to clean it up some and used rattle can primer and color coat. (Later, I want to do some of the body work, and spray the whole vehicle with a regular spray gun.) Anyway, I got one can of primer from a hardware store and used it. I later wondered if that primer would be OK. Then I used auto body primer I got at Auto Zone. I have already coated some of the areas with rattle can color coat.

For a wax remover I used mineral spirits. I wiped it on and off with the same rag but did it at least three times to all areas. (versus putting it on with a wet rag and wiping it off with a different dry one)

I didn't use the cleaner before I sanded, just right before I applied the primer.

I just found this site (this is my first post) and I read the article on surface cleaners. I will look for something better going forward. In the meantime I wonder if I'm going to be OK. Any opinions would be appreciated.

TomBrooklyn

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:50 pm
No you don't use that---Use Prep-sol. This is the recognized cleaner most body shops use. 8)

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:51 pm
antique wrote:No you don't use that---Use Prep-sol. This is the recognized cleaner most body shops use. 8)
Hi antique.

Too late. I already did it. How will I know if it is going to be OK to go over in the future or if I should take it all off? I could get it all off with a few hours of sanding.

I probabably won't get around to doing all the bodywork and spraying the whole thing with Sherwin Williams SS (and maybe prime the whole thing first) for a couple of months at least.

Will that be enough time to find out if the spot painting I've done so far will fail?

Thanks,
Tom

Return to Body and Paint