what is guide coat and type to use

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:05 pm
I have "searched" this topic but Im not 100% sure on what type of material to use as my guide. I see there is a powder type. I have also read of a spray can being used. Is that really ok to pick any old sprayable primer and spray this over my higher dollar 2K primer? Little help hear please. Oh, Im talking about a guide coat for blocking my 2K primer.
THanks
Chad

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:12 pm
yes you can use any contrasting color spray can primer, most likely black. I buy SEM Guide Coat Black, it comes in a rattle can and will last for many projects.

Just remember that for a guide coat you want to MIST it on as LIGHT as you can. spray from a foot or so away and dust it on moving fast. The less on the better

This door has been guidecoated, as you can see it has does not have much black guide coat on it!!!!
Dr. Auto Car Repairs http://www.doctorautorepair.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:36 am
I just bought the 3m guide coat (powder) and love this stuff i was using spray for the primer and im new to this stuff but i used it to wet sand some of the practice spray panels i did and it stayed on threw the water running on it i was wet sanding the orange peel that i had on a finished test panel and it worked really well. i just couldent see spraying the rattle can guide coat on something that was pretty much done.
hope this helped any...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:16 am
yeah the dry guide coat has its uses too.

You can guide coat your primer and then block with 220 or 320. Then re-guide coat with the dry stuff and block with 400-600. This way you can make sure to get out the rougher grit sand scratches without getting guide coat overspray on all your trim :D
Dr. Auto Car Repairs http://www.doctorautorepair.com
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:54 am
You can also tint your last coat of primer............................. :wink:

Return to Body and Paint