Adjusting air on a Astro EVO LPLV gun

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:28 pm
I sprayed for the first time ever :o . Anyways I have seen people speak of setting the air pressure with the trigger pulled and adjusting it. I think I must be missing something, I have the Astro Diaphram, and I think it was ~40psi out of the box, you pull the trigger and its 18psi. Move the dial up to 80psi and its still ~18psi when pulled. Going from low to very high settings it only moved from ~17psi to ~18psi. Is this normal. I sprayed a test area and it worked great, left everything as set when I opened the box, sprays a 8"x2" cigar pattern, put on epoxy primer and several coats of 2k, looks great, ready for sealer and bc/cc now and just wondering about this before I start shooting again. That was on the 1.8tip gun, going to 1.4 tip for the rest, and wondering about adjusting if it is not like perfect out of the box also I can figure out how.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:45 pm
Something doesn't sound right to me. I have the same gun and with the trigger fully pulled I can adjust the air pressure up and down to nearly anything I want.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:19 pm
Sounds like you have a defective regulator or a really bad pressure drop. ;) What size air lines and compressor are you running? Do you have any adapters or fittings other than the regular air fittings plumbed in line?

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:19 pm
I'm adjusting it spraying dry, no paint, is that correct? I bought the astro brand diaphram type adjuster.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:08 am
Ryan S. wrote:I'm adjusting it spraying dry, no paint, is that correct? I bought the astro brand diaphram type adjuster.

Yes, that's correct.
What air pressure is your compressor supplying to the gun?
You need a lot more than the gun requirements to compensate
for line losses. 8)
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:52 am
JCCLARK wrote:
Ryan S. wrote:I'm adjusting it spraying dry, no paint, is that correct? I bought the astro brand diaphram type adjuster.

Yes, that's correct.
What air pressure is your compressor supplying to the gun?
You need a lot more than the gun requirements to compensate
for line losses. 8)

I have a compressor on the smaller side, but it appears to be enough for the job worked on the other coats. Its a 3hp 21gallon, its been at 120PSI +, but I think I have the regulator at 90psi, b/c that is what my DA or cut off tool required and regulated those devices that way. So 90PSI. Think I should pick up another regulator locally and see?

Air line is whatever is standard and all my guns and tools are, 3/8"?, I have a single water trap filter attached to gun, 25ft of hose. I've used the same compressor with tools that require much more air and higher pressure (DAs, cut offs, etc...). Painting went very well I thought, epoxy and 2k, but getting ready to switch to my 1.4 gun for epoxy sealer and topcoats and tought this was odd and wanted it correct.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:29 am
Sure sounds like you got a bad regulator.
Can you remove it and reconnect the gun,
you'll know immediately if the gun is getting more air.
Also, make sure if your gun has a air adjustment on the
bottom of the handle that is wide open. 8)
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:19 am
That does sound like a bad regulator.... Try setting your compressor regulator around 25lbs and see what your gun sprays like without the Astro regulator. Use your air filter though! I figure with 25 feet of line, 25lbs at the compressor should give you about 19lbs at the gun.

P.S. these Astro guns sprays better around 19-22lbs it seems. Don't be afraid to play with the settings, but you pretty much want it Wide Open to make it have a large enough pattern.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:45 am
I have several of those Astro regulators and have never had a bad one .

Thats a mighty small compressor and just mabe it can't put out more than it is doing . If you have another gun try it out .

Pressure means nothing as I can get my 12 volt one up to 125 psi .

Mooch :lol:

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:06 pm
Mooch wrote:I have several of those Astro regulators and have never had a bad one .

Thats a mighty small compressor and just mabe it can't put out more than it is doing . If you have another gun try it out .

Pressure means nothing as I can get my 12 volt one up to 125 psi .

Mooch :lol:

What CFM does your compressor put out?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31
Next

Return to Body and Paint