Purpose of low pressure drop coat?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:02 pm
vwbobby wrote:Base, 2k filler primer, etc....I always start at the center and work out. Think of it like filling in a crater to be level with the rest of the surface. The only problem is, if you don't get all your layers built up enough and feathered, you can have a bullseye effect.

I do know with primer now the recommended way to prime is going from the outside in. It used to be the other way around, you can still build up your lower areas, but you are supposed to do it from the outside in. The manufacturers say after testing that priming from the inside out can result in sinking.
http://www.autobodyreviews.com

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:40 pm
i always primer from left to right or right to left..
how do you primer from inside out???
as for blending i always spent my time on tinting and test panels..

cant blend a color that dosent match :D
painting is like a really fine women you cant just rush her into bed right away ....

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:47 am
Interesting... I wonder how they equate the Direction of your spay to the cause of shrinking?? Not doubting you.

It just seems like shrinking is directly related to: A) Piling material on too thickly, not enough flash. and Number 2 :lol:) Material type/makeup. If you wanna see something shrink faster than jumping in a cold pool, spray urethane over lacquer putty :shock:

ek9k24,

I'm talking about spraying from the middle towards the outside of the repair area....right to left and left to right, starting at the middle ;)

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:25 am
I'm not sure if you understand what i'm saying, maybe i wasn't clear enough.

When applying a few coats of primer, if you go from the inside out. Ie. first coat over filler, second coat over feathering, third coat a bit beyond. Your second and third coat of primer land on overspray from your previous coats. Since your overspray is already dry, you shouldn't be priming over it wet on we, as its not going to give the best adhesion. It can sink in the overspray resulting in visible primer rings down the road.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:14 am
Very interesting... I didn't know that re-coating overspray was a bad thing. I figure as long as you spray quickly, the fresh material will "melt" any overspray. I'm talking about immediately sraying over the overspray, not letting it cure. Wouldn't this cause problems with your overlap? There's no way to avoid overspray when overlapping passes.

It would correspond to some problems I've been having. Sometimes my epoxy will shrink around feathered filler and cause all kinds of bullseyes or even lift the filler edge. I end up re-blocking and re-priming.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:17 pm
theirs an illustration in a training manual i got kicking around that might clear up what i'm trying to say.

you may have to click the zoom button, then it will probably be to big..sorry, you'll have to live with it.
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/9741/ccf1703200800001il6.jpg

anyhow it shows what i mean, i'm not talking about overspray from moving your gun, i'm refering to it being dry by the time its flashed. It will stay wet while your spraying.

I think your filler ringing or lifting would be a different problem.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:21 pm
:shockI would love to get my hand on that book. Interested in donating it to someone that'll appreciate it :?: Just kidding man 8) Actually I'm not :?
Just walk away....

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:45 pm
Im lost???? what happen to the low pressure drop coat???

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:48 pm
hehehehehe so am i :shock: :shock:
if its blended its splendid

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:03 am
lets see if your shooting a color an she is not going your way an ya have coverage turn you gun down ta 18 ta 20 psi an hold it back about 15 ta 18 inches from the panel an move slowly across it throwinging big wet droplets across it it looks like **** when your done but if ya do it right its pure magic when ya hit it with clear on a tough color!! i dont have ta do it very often but it does work if ya got your gun set right ya wont need to do this it helps ta keep your fluid cranked down an your air up!!!but some colors can push any painter an ya gotta have a trick up your sleeve an this IS one of them on blends i prefer ta candy out my base with 5180 an shoot things a little wetter but to each his own :shock: :shock:
if its blended its splendid
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint