what do ppl think of this entry tig

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:43 am
i dont mean to sound rude, but can you tig weld??
i went down this route when i bought a welder around 6yrs ago, couldnt tig weld for crap but bought 1 simply so i could tell my mates i had a tig!!
well, trying to learn with a tig on sheet is bad bad bad news!!
if you can already tig, then go for it, or even better still if your only gonna use it for panels, simply get a oxy/acet kit (dont laugh), as its more durable for panel work, the welds are more malleable, you can heat and bend stuff, heat shrink, if i had my time over again, i would have bought 1 and then a small mig for general welding, and true craftsmen in the metal shaping world all swear by them, tigs are very finicky, grinding tungstens, contamination, your filler material and weld area needs to be spotless, there are alot of things that can go wrong with the machine, i could keep going and going,
i guess wat im trying to say is, just pls beware, have a really good think about wat your wanting to use it for, tig for general welding is slow and tedious, and you need to be in a comfortable position to get a good weld with out blowing holes if your not a really good operator, in imo, get a mig for general welding, and oxy for panels, if i had the spare coin thats the path i would be going, but im poor and have to stick with wat i have!!
krem

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:14 am
yeah i've had a crack at it, I can braze and fusion weld with oxy etc so tig isnt that hard its mostly the settings

yeah cleaning for tig welding is a pain but I wanna do aluminium stuff and do expansion chambers
Previous

Return to Welding & Metal Fab