New tail light panel ... 67 Camaro

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:48 am
I'll start this off by pointing out ... I have never welded in a panel like this before.

I have done a rough fit on the panel. It fits into the opening pretty good, I had to do a little narrowing (rolled the edge flanges) at the base of the valance to get it in flush down there.

Here's the vacancy

I have cleared off the primer from all the surfaces to be welded.

Here's the new panel.

I'm looking for some guidance on how to go about the final fit and clamping for welding. Obviously, once I start clamping things no longer move much so I'm assuming I need to begin the final fit along the sides above the bumper where things are most visible.

During my rough fit process I realized the panel does not *naturally* want to come snug up to the flange across the center where the bumper bolts on. This ribbon all across the tail panel is a primary attachment area for spot welding. I'm assuming I'll need to clamp it with bolts through the bumper attachment holes and maybe even a few additional small bolts or screws, to hold it snug for welding.

The flange across.

Also, I'm assuming I'll need to drill some holes in the edge flange of the new panel to make good spot welds to rear quarter panels on both sides above the bumper.

Anyone care to step in and give me a little guidance on this regarding fitting it correctly and then how to best approach the welding process?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:17 am
Dont forget to put your trunk on and make sure it fits right before you start to weld it in.......
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:26 am
Yes ... the deck lid is on, so it can be closed easily for fit verification.

I also have a rear spoiler to make sure both ends (top surfaces/spoiler gap)) of the quarter panels are right, they were not even gap when the old panel came out. I have done some corrective measures on that, but I'll verify it again with the new panel clamped in just to be certain I'm good out on the ends.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:21 pm
Do you frequent Camaros.net, AKA "Team Camaro"? Their "Body Shop" section has a few members that are well-versed in the F-Body idiosyncrasies. Sauron67MM is one of the best, I think, with the knowledge of the mods needed for proper panel fit. He can be a bit abrasive at times, but is still very helpful.

Larry

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:04 pm
Is that an AMD panel? If so and even if not, make sure the bodyline below the top edge is correct, some are not. Fit the taillights before and after you dry fit it; the housing perimeters should be snug. I had one with a slight misstamp bulge through the right side hole, it also needed a mod to allow the t.light housing to sit deeper. If you push the side tops of the t.panel in too far you'll screw yourself on taillight fit. The seam below the bumper should be tight and even; an easy mod if tightening is required. If you rolled it make sure it does not have a crown now. The seam from the bumper down did not originally get seam sealer at the factory.

The spotweld hole I see partly off the edge of the quarter gutter flange should be welded before installation. Spotwelds should be inside the flange edge. Try to fit the other side without slicing the quarter like you did, the more you clamp the panel, the more it will draw together everywhere. You should have an abundant clamp supply. Attach using bumper bolt holes, screws and many clamps, verify decklid gap, double check and nail it. I would make sure you don't need quarters and drop offs before you do though. Buy AMD's if you do.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:45 pm
Thanks for the input guys.

ScottB ...

I'm so knowledgeable I had to look up AMD to know what you meant there. This panel came from National Parts Depot and is marked Golden Legion.

That's a pretty good checklist you gave me there. I will need to get a few more clamps, I have a bunch, but I agree the more the better.

I'll definitely recheck the tail light fit before I do any welding.

That split/crack on the quarter was a result of earlier damage/work, if you look close you can see where there is brass up at the end of the split. That corner was a bit deformed when I got the car. I'll not be making any cuts of that sort on the other side.

I'll be digging into this thing over the weekend and most likely I'll have questions as I go. Hopefully you folks will be around :D

69-er ...

No that's not a forum I've ever been on.

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:53 pm
There's a thread on Team Camaro about AMD quarters and tailpanel with comparison pics to GM panels. One shows a non AMD panel with the incorrect bodyline. CRG(Camaro Research Group) is another source of data.

Return to Welding & Metal Fab