stud welder use/tools

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:25 pm
I am buying a stud welder from HF tomorrow. i get the weld on rivets ,but they don't have/or advertise a slide puller for the rivets. I don't want to put alot of money in this as once my body work is done on this kar i'll not need it anymore. My son and others say this is agood BUY FOR WHAT I NEED. Maybe you have a rivet puller .... needs repair or know what i can do on this situation thanks for any help bobs
ps can't bring pics up so this is a55 chevy rocker thats just pushed back in a Small amt. What slide weight puller do i need?

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:45 pm
The stud welder that I have from HB came with a slide hammer. Are you sure that the one you are buying doesnt?

http://www.harborfreight.com/stud-welde ... 98357.html

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:19 pm
Vdubber wrote:The stud welder that I have from HB came with a slide hammer. Are you sure that the one you are buying doesnt?

http://www.harborfreight.com/stud-welde ... 98357.html

my oldest boy told me his did but it was not to good a tool it seems. The $99.00 will work but where did you see the slide hammer for weld on studs? than kyou for your reply bob s

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:24 pm
The slide hammer that is included with the kit is not very good. However, it does work OK.

If you look at the link provided, you will see the two images on the left. One is of the welder itself, and the other is of the slide hammer.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:38 pm
Vdubber wrote:The slide hammer that is included with the kit is not very good. However, it does work OK.

If you look at the link provided, you will see the two images on the left. One is of the welder itself, and the other is of the slide hammer.

got it now vdubber..I called Ca so i could get a discount coupon. They said they would send it out today.Thank you again vdubber bob s

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:57 pm
Go to your local body supply and get their studs. They stick much better. 15 bucks for a box of 500. The finer the sand scratch on your metal 80-180 will yield the best stick for the studs. JMO
BTW I bought that stud gun ten yrs ago and it works fine. Puller is garbage. Look up a Steck Studlever. Great tool.
Last edited by timbo on Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:00 pm
timbo wrote:Go to your local body supply and get their studs. They stick much better. 15 bucks for a box of 500. The finer the sand scratch on your metal 80-180 will yield the best stick for the studs. JMO

Great tip!!!!

There were times I was about to throw the slide hammer through the window. Having those studs come off before your work is complete will piss you off. I wish I would have known this before hand!!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:28 am
Vdubber wrote:
timbo wrote:Go to your local body supply and get their studs. They stick much better. 15 bucks for a box of 500. The finer the sand scratch on your metal 80-180 will yield the best stick for the studs. JMO

Great tip!!!!

There were times I was about to throw the slide hammer through the window. Having those studs come off before your work is complete will piss you off. I wish I would have known this before hand!!

[bI am thinking from the converstion! here.......i am going and get the stud welder tomorrow,I'll try the puller .i only have rocker needs a tweak or two. I checked out that stead puller. that looks pretty good...decent price too. you are sold on it aaayy? bob s thanks much[/b]

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:13 pm
You might check this out before you decide what to do.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-Guard-Mag ... 1153115172

Its from motor guard and already has the $15 pins, the $100 twist lock heavy duty slide hammer, motor guard sanding blocks, and free shipping.

This web site doesn't give a very good description of the new stud gun, and I can't say that the claims are warranted because the two motor guard guns that I have had are the older units, but I would trust them to be reasonably honest. So here is the claim from motor guard web site.
http://motorguard.com/col_1.html

If you add this up I think you will find a quality product that is selling for less than HF and has resale value.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:55 pm
chevman wrote:You might check this out before you decide what to do.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-Guard-Mag ... 1153115172

Its from motor guard and already has the $15 pins, the $100 twist lock heavy duty slide hammer, motor guard sanding blocks, and free shipping.

This web site doesn't give a very good description of the new stud gun, and I can't say that the claims are warranted because the two motor guard guns that I have had are the older units, but I would trust them to be reasonably honest. So here is the claim from motor guard web site.
http://motorguard.com/col_1.html

If you add this up I think you will find a quality product that is selling for less than HF and has resale value.

Thanks chevman you wouldn
t be the "chevman" from trifive would you bob s
Next

Return to Welding & Metal Fab