Flux core contamination? Fact or fiction?

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:10 am
My gas bottle developed a crack right before I started my project. rather than spend a bunch of money getting a new one I switched to flux-core. I tried the harbor freight wire and it sucked, so I got a roll of Lincoln E71T-11 and its way better. I've done much more welding than i planed and started shaving markers, wipers ect. My question is, is there any truth to the possibility of the leftover flux causing the filler or paint to lift in the future? I heard this from someone but cannot find any proof. I cleaned the welds real good, wire wheeled and wiped them with acetone before using duraglass. Should I expect problems.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:12 pm
As long as you chip away the slag as you weld, and the welds are clean before applying filler or paint, you shouldn't have any problems.
I've used flux core for years, never had any problems with filler or paint. I made numerous frames for recumbent bikes and trikes. After grinding the welds, I usually went over the joints with 2 part glazing before paint.
I also welded in a new battery pan on my '63 Tbird, using both flux core and 6063 electrodes. I had a few pinholes I didn't want to fill by welding, due to the ease of burning through sheet metal. Some of the guys here said to just use filler over the seam, it would take care of the pinholes. They were right. No problems at all.
Lead filler is another matter. Sometimes, removing residues is difficult, especially if too much flux was applied, and/or sanding is done before the flux is completely removed. It's a much different flux than fluxes used for welding and brazing.

Return to Welding & Metal Fab