cutting rust off & trying too figure out the best idea

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:03 pm
Hello world,

I am in a process of removing rust off of my car(1997 Honda Del Sol).. I have cut off large amount off rust and wishing too restore it back into correct shape I am stuck with an idea that bondo and fiberglass won't work well together. Somehow thinking the idea will work together however I rely on trial and error. Please correct me if I may be wrong :-). I've been spending large amount of time and money, I have one year of metal bending for paintless repairs. Is it the best idea for myself too tack weld a blank sheet of metal then bondo or should I do bondo and fiberglass mold? Please a feedback will be helpful, peace.

let me know if picture of it doesn't show for you.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:36 pm
Welcome.

Don't try to bridge that repair with fiberglass. Best bet would be to find a car in a salvage yard that is not rusted in that location (if possible) - and have the salvage yard cut a patch panel out for you. Then, *cleanly* cut out that area of your car, make a template out of cardboard and transfer the cuts to the patch panel. Weld the patch panel in, finish and paint.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:11 am
What model del sol is it? I also have a 97, but with the b16 in it from the factory. If you can't find a donor panel for it, since these cars aren't too common in the junkyard, let me know. I have a friend that has a few del sol parts cars. And I work with metal and welding. I could cut out the portion you need and see about shipping it too.

Return to Welding & Metal Fab