I thought welding in a patch would be easy....

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:38 pm
I'm using my hobart 140 mig welder, using flux core wire which might be the entire problem. I think my tip keeps getting clogged and makes the wire get stuck and then it ends up **** up inside the welder so I have to refeed the wire through to the gun. I've already done it like 4 or 5 times. It took me like 2 hours to lay this many tacs, and I suck. And just fitting the patch sucked, like its not lining up well and this is all **** I feel. I'm having a great day!!!

Any tips.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:39 pm
Are you using gas on your welder or just the flux core?
I never had a lot of luck until I stepped up and used gas...

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:50 pm
Yeah, I hate those flux core units for this kind of stuff. As said gas style is much better and for me I"ve gone to epoxies and Fusor for most panels like this. OEMs are using adhesives for a lot of panels now. Speed, less distortion, etc.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:25 pm
DarrelK wrote:Yeah, I hate those flux core units for this kind of stuff. As said gas style is much better and for me I"ve gone to epoxies and Fusor for most panels like this. OEMs are using adhesives for a lot of panels now. Speed, less distortion, etc.

Panel adhesive is not designed for exposed seams due to ghost lines. The factory only uses it on concealed seams or in very particular joints where welding is not allowed and bonding/riveting is only advised for a factory approved repair. Where did you acquire your info and how are you repairing panels in your collison and/or resto shop? Read a TDS for panel adhesive and the info is the same about ghost lines. No offense but your blanket statement is misleading to novices. Not to mention he's doing a buttweld and panel adhesive does not work for that application.

OP: Dump the flux, switch to gas and practice. Otherwise you will not achieve the results of a professional.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:55 pm
What has mixture should I get?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:19 pm
argon - co2 mix .023 solid wire a new liner and a hand full of .023 tips
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:23 pm
wahoo wrote:What has mixture should I get?

Generally argon is used for MIG welding. It's standard and comes in a blue or purple bottle.

Also judging by your pictures it looks like you could turn your wire speed down some. Welding on automotive steel is aggravating at best and it just takes a lot of practice and tweaking of your welding settings.

Another thing you might want to check if your wire keeps binding or sticking in the gun are your rollers that feed the wire through the liner to the gun. Most of them (not sure about Hobart) can be tightened down. If they start slipping it can lead to a lot of headaches.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:29 pm
badsix wrote:argon - co2 mix .023 solid wire a new liner and a hand full of .023 tips
Jay D.

What do you mean by a new liner?

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:49 pm
I use a flux core on sheet metal alot for patching and sometimes I burn through but only once what you are experiencing. Use .30 wire with a new .30 tip and maybe turn up your heat. I did once hav a problem where the liner slipped out of the clamp inside the welder where it meets the feed wheel. There should not be a large gap between the liner and the feed wheel or else you can get a nice jam going inside.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:02 pm
Pure argon is used for tig welding which uses a non consumable electrode, argon/c02 with mig , the argon helps prevent porosity and contamination while the c02 helps with penetration as mig uses a consumable wire
Next

Return to Welding & Metal Fab