Miller cricket xl help

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:34 am
I just bought a miller cricket xl. It's in very good shape. I'm very new to welding. My questions are.
1) where is the best place to buy tips, nozzles, etc.?
2) I'm going to use 0.23, how do I figure out what size liner is in the gun now?
3) I need a gas regulator, any good cheap ones?
4) anything else I should be concerned about?
Thanks for any and all responses.
Squirrel

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:28 am
Squirrel,
I would go,to my local welding supply for the contact tips and nozzles. While there I would ask about
gas options such as tank rental vs purchase. Like your local paint jobber, it's always good to establish a good
business relationship your welding supply.
Harbor Freight has a regulator on sale for ~ $37 that should meet your needs. Might require a fitting change for the hose, and can be adapted for argon or co2. They also carry tips that may be compatible with your machine.
I wouldn't worry about the liner unless I was experiencing wire feed issues not associated with the drive/rollers or wire spool.
www.weldingtipsandtricks.com is a good source of information. Jody recently put out a multi-part video on mig basics.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:02 pm
Guardrail
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to take your advice and go to the welding supply store. When I bought the welder it came with a purplish colored bottle. I'm not sure what it is. Thanks again for your help.

Return to Welding & Metal Fab