What is every one doing to make nasty plug welds look better

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:54 pm
Are you guys grinding and mudding mug plug welds? Mine always look awfull and nothing like a factory spot weld. Thanks.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:03 am
Pictures would help determine why your plug welds aren't coming out right.

Does your welder have a Spot or Stitch weld setting on it?
Do you have a spot weld tip that you are using?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:19 pm
yes I always clean up my welds with a grinder and some duraglas. only time I dont is if it is going to be covered up by another panel.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:23 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Pictures would help determine why your plug welds aren't coming out right.

Does your welder have a Spot or Stitch weld setting on it?
Do you have a spot weld tip that you are using?

x2 on the pics. I've never had a plug weld that looked "bad" per say, even when welding on dirty/contaminated metal I am normally able to get a nice plug by adding a little heat and smoothing the bead out with the torch as I go around. They may not look exactly like a factory spot weld, but they never look bad. They should be coming out smooth and round on top. They just won't be indented like factory spot welds, but if you practice at it you can get them flush (or just grind them down).

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:55 pm
I'm sort of proud of this spot weld. I eventually ditched the spot welding tip and just free-handed them.

If you can get them behind the spot weld, these plug weld pliers almost guarantee a good plug weld.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RF ... UTF8&psc=1]
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:39 pm
Here are a few basic things that will help.
Make sure both pieces are clean
Have both pieces clamped tightly together
Have your welder set properly,you want a nice hot setting with the right amount of wire speed.Too much wire speed will result in a cold weld with minimal pentration.
Start your puddle in the middle with your torch in a 90 degree angle,then move out towards the edges of the plug weld hole.

If it is seen absolutely finish it off with a bit of filler.If the weld is not in plain sight I would make sure there are not pits.I would then finish it with a 3 inch 50 grit disk and leave the weld slightly proud.Then I would go over it with a brown ro-loc disk to slightly polish it.When done properly this technique will produce beautiful looking welds.

Return to Welding & Metal Fab