Welding up those 1/4" holes........

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:54 pm
Doing the rust repair on my 87 samurai. Cutting out the rust and welding in new sheet metal.......you all know the process well.

Anyway, there are about fifteen 1/4" holes in various places on the floors where the carpets were held in with snaps. These holes are where the snaps used to be. I am not putting snaps back in the holes and want to weld them up.

The thought of cutting a tiny round piece of sheet metal to weld onto those holes is, well, sounding tedious and time consuming to do at best. What about welding a dime over the holes? Dunno if there's enough steel in a dime to weld or not? Also thought about holding a piece of copper on the back side of the hole/s and just filling with weld? Will these ideas work? I have a hole punch but the circle of metal it provides is too small to fill the holes.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:09 am
If you are talking about a dime like US currency, forget it. Besides being illegal to do that a dime is made out of copper and nickel.

If the steel is thick enough around the holes then yes holding a copper backer behind it and pooling the weld should be easy to fill a 1/4" hole.

If you really want to put a cover over the hole first, drop a suitably sized nail into the hole, weld it down then cut or grind off the shaft of the nail. Don't use a coated nail, just a plain steel nail.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:16 am
The dime won't work, but you can hold the copper to the back side and weld the hole shut. Personally, I prefer a cleaner approach with holes that size, but it does require some tools. I'll explain--you decide.

I use a roper whitney punch, but for about 1/3rd the cost here is a knock-off.

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Power-Punch ... B0002T87CW

The hole needs to 1/64th larger than the hole plug, thats 17/64ths in your case. I prefer the step drill bits, because the twist drill bits don't drill round holes. That will make the plug slightly smaller than the hole, then put a dolly on the underside and a couple taps with the hammer will tighten it up. The punch will actually put a dome on a plug that size, because it pushes from the center, and all you have to do is flatten it out to make it fit the hole perfectly.
I think this hole is about 1/2 in, don't remember exactly.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:32 am
Fred you're method is excellent but remember we are talking about an 87' Samurai. Floor boards. :D

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:26 am
you could just panel bond a piece behind or on top of the whole. depending on what cosmetic look u are looking for

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:42 pm
Great replies guys, thanks.
I like the nail idea and will go that route...........i have lots of nails with heads that diameter,

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:27 am
I have to admit Chris been doing this awhile and never thought of that lol. U can teach an old dog a new a trick.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:56 am
The nails worked great. Just the thing I was needing.
Thanks again for the tip.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:31 am
Glad it worked out for you. Now you can tell people your car is held together with nails 8)

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:32 pm
:clap:
Next

Return to Welding & Metal Fab