Need advice fixing warped panel!

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:29 pm
I am new to this forum and I saw a couple people post up their issues with their own projects, so here is mine:

I ordered a pair of replacement panels for my 93 civic hatch and decided to get to welding and along the way the quarter panel warped due to heat (from grinding and welding).
I wanted some advice on how to fix the panel, either by replacing the entire panel and welding it over or filling it up with fiberglass filler?

resize2.jpg
resize1.jpg

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:11 am
It might be a little too much to deal with for a first time metal working project, if it's really warped badly. Generally, if it's warped you need to map out where the warpage is, and strategically shrink the metal to pull the warpage back in. The goal is to minimize or eliminate the need for body filler.

There's a variety of ways to do this, and a couple of different tools used (e.g. shrinking disk, shrinking head on a stud gun, etc.) use the advanced search here and you will find threads that discuss it.

Your welds do not look to be complete - if air gaps or holes then that will be a rust trap later. The panel doesn't look to be warped to me, it seems to have been installed at the wrong angle..hard to tell for sure.

Don't take this the wrong way either but if we were restoring a 59' Porsche the answer might be different; in this case it might be ok to just hammer it down and fill it with body filler...

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:08 am
Read through this sticky post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18781

Pay particular attention to the Stretching and Shrinking portions. The thing to remember is that when working with metal, especially thin metal, you cannot be in a hurry. Welding a patch panel like yours requires patience and practice.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:35 pm
thanks for the advice, this is a cheap car to work on and this is my first project so i figured why not get the most experience i can get lol

i will try using a dolly and tapping out the warped portions, if that does not work i will probably order new panels and try welding again

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:15 pm
chris wrote: It might be a little too much to deal with for a first time metal working project, if it's really warped badly. Generally, if it's warped you need to map out where the warpage is, and strategically shrink the metal to pull the warpage back in. The goal is to minimize or eliminate the need for body filler.

There's a variety of ways to do this, and a couple of different tools used (e.g. shrinking disk, shrinking head on a stud gun, etc.) use the advanced search here and you will find threads that discuss it.

Welding shrinks metal, so shrinking it more will only make it worse. The weld area (HAZ) needs to be stretched. Access to the backside is required for proper H&D work. There is a good sticky on Team Chevelle about this, and of course there is All Metal Shaping.

I would not waste my T&M trying again with new panels. Just work it the best you can and pave it. Done right it will last and the car has little value.

Return to Welding & Metal Fab