Overlaping metal

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:47 pm
Ok, so im working on a 54 F100 box. The rust on the box sides bottom flange ( where it sits on the wood) was bad, but not too bad. Sandblasted(walnutshell) all of it off. Then used navel gelly to neutralize any remaining rust. Thought at first i would cut that flange off, but its in not that bad shape, just not pretty. So decided it might be best to 'hide' the unsightly parts and put a new flange on top of the old wavey flange. I bent two pieces so they would just cover the old flange. Will weld this on the the box side and the bottom of the flange.
Now my question. What should i put between the pieces to ensure that rust does not start again?
Just prime? Use body connection putty or anti squeak rubber (like at the front clip)? Silicone?(omg adding different things to paint over).
Dont have pics, but will post this first and take some.
Thanks.
image.jpeg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:33 am
Sorry but I am having trouble following what you are trying to do. Pictures of the parts and patches you want to install would help.

In general I cover media blasted metal with epoxy primer before anything else. Rust treatments have to be neutralized before painting otherwise they leave a residue that causes adhesion problems later on.

Epoxy primer has rust inhibitors in it and will protect the underside of the overlapped metal.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Welding & Metal Fab