Floor repair products.

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:00 pm
Hello, I know it's a long post but I tried to keep it to the point.

I am in need of information about what techniques and products I should use for replacing a part of sheet metal on my floor, protecting the floor and rocker panels from moisture and rust(I want to go a step beyond and apply some kind of resin to the floor and rockers after I weld the new floor.

I wanted to go over what I plan to do and get feedback so I can avoid making mistakes and my doing a shotty repair.

1)i've already cut the sheet metal and removed spot welds, creating a nice hole in my floor, exposing frame rails.
2)next, I plan to sand the rocker panels in places where it contacted the rusty floor and some surface rust appeared, hit the bare metal with some anti corrosion product(which one?)
3)I plan to use a welding primer in the area before putting down spot welds, following up with some epoxy primer on the welds, seam sealer on the welds after primer.
4)finish off with a thick coat of resin applied via brush on the whole floor, and under the car as well.

Mainly I'm looking for good products as the market in Canada is flooded with useless crap.

Return to Welding & Metal Fab