How to the cut this hole?

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:31 pm
OK so this is probably an easy question but one I want to know the answer to before I screw it up. I am new to this so bear with me..

I need to cut 2 oval shaped holes (bumper mounts) on the front valance of a car I'm working on. I can upload a picture if necessary but basically the hole is 1.5-2" wide by 2.5-3" tall. What is the best method and tool to do this? Car had these holes stock but I think panel was replaced and now no holes.

Hole should be "finished" for lack of a better word, no jagged edge, concentric, etc.

Thank you!

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:14 pm
You have to locate exactly where you want the hole and exactly how large the hole will be.
Then use the correct size hole saw.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-1- ... /202327735

Way back in time when someone wanted a new car with specific options and the dealer didn't have it, they just had to find the preferred style and color of car with the right power train that the customer wanted, then the dealer would add the options that were requested, because power options were often installed by the dealer. GM use to put dimples where the holes needed to be drilled, so the dealers only needed to know how big to make the hole. For power windows there was an oblong hole on the door post (A pillar) for the wire harness and the dealers made that hole by drilling out the two dimples that GM put on the post.

The drill size for that oblong hole was 1 3/8", but the holes would intersect, so if you drill one hole, then the other one is going to be very difficult. What I do is just drill one hole half way then drill the other one half way, and just switch back and forth until one breaks through, and the other one won't be so hard to finish off. Then use a file to get the long part of the hole straight.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:11 pm
Thanks for your reply. I figured the hole saw part. Wasn't sure on the best way to even out the long side. I'll try a file.

Return to Welding & Metal Fab