polishing clear after W.S 2000

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:41 pm
Hello AB 101 community
this is my first automotive paint job and so far and I think I'm doing ok, but!

this is what I did: some obvious steps were omitted to keep thread readable(I hope).
tried fixing the body with some body filler (key word "tried")lol
sanded car with 380 sand paper
sprayed with a 2K primer FP410
block sanded 400
cleaned up
sprayed with Martin Seynour 56 platinum series paint(black)
then sprayed with 3 coats of clear coat FC720. wet sanded between coats with 1500. I know the tech sheets call for 1000 but it was after I did the whole thing I realized it said 1000. no flaming please.

the car doesn't look perfect by any means, this is my first at trying to fix dents, sand block.... but considering how the car looked before, I'd say I did an awesome job.

I have tested the CC and 2000 cut through it fine leaving the dull flat texture that I read about. actually I don't mind sanding it down with a 3000 sand paper either. I only do it this way because I know for a fact that I will burn right through the CC and the paint and possibly end up seeing shinny metal If I use a machine. :knockout:

but I am unsure of which of these ones to buy to get what I want which is smooth no swirl marks and nice shine.
3M Perfect-It Machine Polish 39061 this one says its used in polishing head light lenses which is how I got confused.
3M Perfect-It Machine Polish 39062

3M™ Machine Polish, 05996
will any these allow me to just polish the cc to a no swirls after I removed imperfections with 2000sp ?

I know these products say machine but I kind of remember seeing something like " can be done by hand" at some label some where IIRC.

thanks for any feedback.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:21 am
you will be there til xmas next yr doing it by hand, lol, you can buy a buffing pad for an orbital sander, it wont take off as much as a normal buffer, but will be slower than a normal buffer
krem

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:17 am
I am aware of time and amount of labor.
I have one, its just that I don't want to redo the whole thing if I go to far. that is why I am considering doing it by hand.

I'll get the swirl remover and give a try anyways. thks

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail