Hope for a better finish

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:41 pm
I have an '81 Fiat Spider. When I 1st got it I found the paint looked dull and had some orange peel. I did some wet color sanding (by hand - no DA or RO sander) up to 1500 grit and then buffing with Meguire's Fine-Cut Cleaner (#2) and Meguire's New Car Glaze (#5). Followed this up by waxing after a month or so.

Before...

After...

It looks better (reduced orange peel, a little shinier) but not really nice. Should I just keep going and try to get it better? Just not sure when enough is enough and I have to accept the way it is.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:52 pm
Buffing by hand won't make it. You will need a rotary buffer to bring the shine up. If you don't have one it will be cheaper to pay a Detailer to buff it for you. The buffer, pads and compound will set you back quite a bit of money.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:29 pm
As good of shape as that paint is I would spend the bucks to have a professional detail it out from here on.... Not saying you can't "learn" to machine buff that but that's a pretty nice nostalgic paint surface to be experimenting with....
68 is correct... you'll have more money invested in all the materials than a local detail guy would charge to get it great looking again.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:50 pm
Also, going from p1500 paper to Meguiar's fine cut cleaner is too much of a jump; that compound will not remove p1500 sanding scratches. And yes it is designed for rotary machine buffing.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:46 pm
Thanks for the info. I think I'll contact a local detailer and see what they recommend and how much they charge. I'm in Canada and I find that prices up here for car work are about 2x or 3x as expensive as in the States. So we'll see... I do like the pride of doing things myself and a few tools would be good to add to my collection. :happy: This one might be a nice one to get.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/tools ... dUzg7JVhBc

And it's 1/2 price starting Friday! Not sure about the 'hook and loop' system vs sticky or velcro pads though...

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:44 pm
While learning is fun, it can also be costly. Its so easy to burn through with a buffer and it happens faster than you can react. I would not advise learning on such a nice classic car.
Pick a vehicle that is not so important to practice on.
Here's a link for lot's of information and supplies.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:06 am
Thanks. I took away a lot of the orange peel and dullness with hand sanding with 1500 grit and polishing. Think I'll take another stab at the 1500. But then I'll use 2000 and maybe 2500 followed by polishing again. I actually find it relaxing doing the sanding and the car isn't that big. :goodjob:

If I can't get it where I like it I'll contact a professional detailer. Seems most of the ones in our area focus on adding ground effects and cleaning. Have to get a good recommendation on one that does color sanding and buffing.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:18 pm
You could contact some body shops and see what they would charge to cut and buff the car

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:12 am
another way if your not keen on trying a rotary buffing machine, use an orbital sander, I used 1 on my calibre, car had been sitting for over 10yrs across from the ocean in the sun and on a major highway, red was nearly turning pink, after a go with my orbie, white waffle pad and some cutting compound, then some finishing glaze with a black pad, looks a million $$, nearly every1 knows some1 who owns a orbital sander, and 6" pads are cheap on ebay in packs, and the best part, you have to be going pretty darn hard to burn thru your paint with the orbie, it does take a little longer than a rotary buffer, but far more beginner friendly!!
krem

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail