buffing really dull red color??

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:48 pm
I have a Q ? my friend came over the other day and wanted me to buff out his car ( red paint really dull ). I buffed it out with 3m rubbing compound and then with machine glaze and at last with machine finish!! it really turned out great.
Now my question is, well it be dull in a few weeks again ?? I hear that the pigments in the color red are really bad about this and that it well dull again later:: what do you guys say about this????
tryer1964

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:12 am
I've seen guys wax them once a week to keep them looking good. But if they skip a week or two it's back to dull quick.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:54 pm
Horsepower is right. The chemistry of the original paint is failing and chalking. Wax can protect it but not for long. I had a red sports car done in a tough marine grade gel coat. After about 6 years of age I could compound and buff it on Friday and watch it start to chalk within a matter of days. Time to repaint.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:56 pm
I have a red car that is doing the same thing. Can I shoot basecoat over the old paint after sanding it or would I need to use a primer or sealer over the old paint first? Thanks for any information you guys may give me.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:59 am
Whenever I see any coating that is chalking like this I remove it. You probably could seal it but why take a chance? Your new paint job is only as good as it's foundation. I have had good luck sealing with epoxy primer over fading gel coats on fiberglass but that's just not the same as a failing production paint job on a regular car.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail