Sanding between Base and Clear

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:53 pm
HELP!!! I realize in previous posts, that it said to not sand between basecoat and clear. But, when I shot base I got dust and particles in the paint. Should I wet sand? Should I clear it? What should I do??

Thanks Buddy

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:03 pm
Sand it to get the junk leveled out, respray base and then clear. Oh, yeah, clean up your painting environment.

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:05 pm
I wanted to clarify this. I have read this too.

Never sand between base coat/clear coats? I have heard of hot roders and people making contcourse paint jobs do this yet it is not endorsed by the paint manufacturing.

I am getting ready to paint my first car.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:52 am
That is correct, do not sand between base and clearcoats. What you might be referring to with those high end paint jobs is the fact that they might be putting on some base, doing some minor sanding or leveling, but still are shooting more base on before they clear. If you shoot that base and sand you must shoot more base over it before clearing or your're headed for adheasion problems. Big Jim is right if you're shooting in a half way decent envrionment you shouldn't need to do more than shoot your base then go right into your clear. Even after layering a total of 21 coats of Auto Air Colors base, coarse aluminums, sparkles, and candies I did not have to sand because I kept my shop clean. I was able to go right into my clears.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:07 am
DarrylK: I just received a few bottles of AutoAir and without digging into their spec sheets I have been wondering, can you sand their colors before clearing?

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:26 am
Thanks, I am preparing my MGB for Paint right now. I hope to do it in a week or so. I have one more question.

I plan to paint the body panels seperate from the other parts (underbelly, trunk, etc). Would it be easier to paint the non body part single stage and the trunk, floor pans, engine bay, underbelly, etc....Single stagee?

Photos:

http://www.rc-tech.net/MGB/prep2/prim1.jpg
http://www.rc-tech.net/MGB/paint1/prim2.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:25 pm
Sportbikeluvr, I don' t believe you can sand them however I remember Aberrant saying that he would sometimes lightly de-nib and dust on another coat right before clearing. You would of course have to make sure that the coating was heat cured before doing that. That seems to be the key with working with the Auto Air if you want a durable coating. Another thing you can do is put a light coat of an inter-coat clear and de-nib that before putting on the rest of the clear.

gow- Someone else will have to jump in about your single stage questions on your MGB.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:45 pm
I haven't tried it myself, however, someone once told me that if you ground the body of the car to prevent static buildup, then it is less likely to pick up dust and such from the work place.
1995 Pontiac Trans Am

www.fuelslut.net

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:52 pm
Update:

Fenders done:

Bigger:
http://www.rc-tech.net/MGB/paint1/redfen.jpg

Came out pretty good. Hood, trunk doors this weekend, underbelly and non body parts next weekend, body the following.

G

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:06 pm
Lookin' good. Keep on painting! I love reds but that would be an "arrest me" color for most sports cars around here with our local police prescence.
Next

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail