Wet sand Clear coat

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:14 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:The idea in color sanding is to flatten the surface (remove orange peel and wave) and then gradually refine the sandpaper scratches but using finer grits. If your surface looks good then start with 1000 grit, then 1500, and then 2000 making sure to remove all the scratches of the previous grit until all that's left is the 2000 grit sandpaper scratches.

Jumping straight to 2000 grit will not flatten, remove any texture, or even 1000 grit scratches from the surface since it is so fine that it really just polishes.

I would use the Megs 105 and a wool pad to start.
Follow with Megs 205 and a white CCS foam pad.
Finish with a Swirl remover on a gray CCS Pad. (I like Menzerna 85 RD polish for this step but 3M or others will work)

i know when color sanding one dont go straight to 2000.... im using the 2000 cause the car was already color sanded where it was painted. Im just hitting it with the 2000 cause it just need a little bit more (previous pics show what I mean) to get the mirror finish look. Now that I made that clear, do I still need the 105 or jump that step? Thanks!

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:26 pm
If it's fresh paint you might be able to get away with only m205 if it's a small area. M105 is made for removing sanding scratches and is going to make your job easier.
Previous

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail