Great shine but wavy looking???

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:02 pm
I recently painted my 68 mustang. I used BC/CC method and it worked great. I applied 3 wet-on-wet coats of the clear and let it dry overnight. I then came back and wet sanded the entire car with 1500-2000(depending on orange peel). Now to buffing. Buffed the car using a 3M product the paint store recommend. The clear is shinny and slick, BUT it still has some waves in the paint. When looking into the paint at a fluorescent light, the light appears to have small waves to it. (Hopefully I am explaining this right).

Don't know what to do to get that mirror look. Please help.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:06 am
maybe because your basecoat wasnt flat

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:39 pm
You're describing orange peel, you didn't sand enough. While sanding occasionally blow it dry with air or wipe it with a squeegee and you'll see the orange peel pattern as shiny/dull spots. It's a bumpy surface, that's causing your tiny waves. With 3 coats of clear be careful you don't sand through, you might want to sand with 400 and put another 3 on and then sand that flat.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:07 pm
Sometimes what your referring to can be repaired, but it takes aggressive sanding and extreme care. I find that it's easier to get panels dead-flat with a DA sander and ultrafine discs, rather than hand sanding , which can sometimes show finger grooves. Use 1500 grit, followed by 3000, then buff to gloss with the usual steps. 3M, Norton, Mirka, all make the 6 in ultrafine discs, my personal favorite is the Norton Norax setup.

Hope this helps!

Kevin Tetz
Paintucation Video Tapes
Classic Rides

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:25 pm
Are you the kevin that's in the painucation tapes? I think that dudes name was kevin... I watched a video of you respraying a white vette, it helped me get a handle on the basics. You know your videos are at the library where I live? That must be good for sales, huh?

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:44 pm
YUP, Paintucation is my company. Cool that the library has the tapes! I'm glad you got some good info from the video(s), I appreciate the kind words. :D Just started hangin around her a little more, great site!

Take care,

Kevin.
kevin Tetz
Paintucation
DIY's "Classic Rides"

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:07 am
Your tapes are the most complete guides to autobody that I have ever seen!! Good job.

I would recommend them to anyone who wants to learn the basics. Very good value for so much knowledge.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:44 pm
can somebody point me in the general direction of these "tapes" ? i'm not exactly a beginner but a little extra reference material never hurt anyone

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:31 am
Kevn's tapes are great learning aids in this field. You can go directly to the Paintucation web site to find out more and see what he's all about. Just go to www.paintucation.com You'll also find another forum much like this one there. It's worth a look.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:58 am
I bought the "Color Sanding & Buffing" video. Watched it twice,
then tried his techniques on a dark hood i sprayed the other night.
It came out great! The customer was happy and those watching
me thought i knew what i was doing. Guess i did!

This was well worth the money. I'm getting the other videos
as well.
Next

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail