How to achieve that mirror shine?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:31 pm
Rick. Few questions. what type of pad/set up is that. not the dewalt machine itself. and what speed or number on your buffer did you have it set at. Btw for all the guys asking questions, I noticed that Rick did not get all of that clear super super flat, you can see some orange peel but with the right compound and pad or pads that usually will take care of the rest of the very small orange peel that he left there. I don't bother either with 3000 grit I use at best 2000 and a foam pad, but i use the 3m ones. Thats why i'm asking what your using. Thanks. And btw the worst f'n sound when that vid comes through my puter speakers lol! :allgood:
Life is Short, Live your life and Do what You want to Do!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:17 am
You asked,,"what type of pad/set up is that?" Its all 3M "Hook-It". If you need part numbers let me know.

"what speed or number on your buffer did you have it set at? I don't know,,,I would have to go look,,but its pretty fast.

"Btw for all the guys asking questions, I noticed that Rick did not get all of that clear super super flat, you can see some orange peel" Just so you know, I do sand out all of the orange peel. What you see is where the compound splattered on the finish. (Or an area that I haven't sanded yet)
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:13 pm
i use the 3m hook it also. i see your using the grey pad. do you use another color pad? i use the black ones. And ok on the orange peel. :allgood:

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:43 pm
I use the gray pad,,,but just started using the blue one.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:58 pm
I just switched to a new system. It's by "Buff and Shine" it has a wool pad, followed by a yellow foam, followed by a black foam.

Here is my process:

1) Sand with 2000 wet
2) Buff with wool and 3M rubbing compound at about 1000 rpm ( I don't use near as much compound as ODG does, but I apply pressure and make about two or three passes) and sometimes wipe the surface clean and repeat
3) Buff with the black pad and 3M ultrafine compound at about 1500 rpm (Using less compound than before, and making two quicker passes)
4) A few days later, the shine seems to be less

What should I do to improve my results?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:51 pm
,,You asked,,"What should I do to improve my results?"

Dont spend so much money on all the products they offer ,,and let the clear cure over night.

If you want to save money and time,,,Go back and read what I posted.

If you want to spend money and waste a lot of time,, listen to the sales rep.... ..................... ..........

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:54 pm
What is the best approach to sanding and buffing next to edges? I can get close to edges and sand them flat but I'm scared to get close and sand or buff through the clear completely.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:22 am
Make sure the rotation of the buffing pad is going away from the edge and not rotating in towards it...
I wouldnt use wool pads.

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:47 am
Hey odg, i know there still are wool pads out there very much so, i use both but find the foam seems to work better and thank god, much less mess and finding the fibers in my beard and food at lunch lol. But honestly for all. Why do not like them anymore, or prefer to use the foam over old style wool or synthetic wool. peace! :goodjob:

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:01 am
On a black car, I would stay away from the wool pad, if at all possible. A wool pad is too aggressive and will leave swirl marks, which might not show up on a lighter color, but black shows everything. I have to agree with some of the others who commented that 1500 to 3000 is too big a jump. On the other hand, a little trick I've seen used from time to time is to turn the sandpaper over and use the other side. After you're sure the 3000 has done it's job, turn it over. I'm not sure what the grit of the back side would be equivalent to, but you'll start to see the begining of a shine. I laughed the first time I saw some one do it, but had to quit laughing pretty quick.
PreviousNext

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail