Buying a Buffer/Polisher

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:11 am
I have never color sanded or used a machine to buff and polish with.
What would be a good electric machine to do so with. My compressor will not handle an air machine. What RPM should I look for in an electric machine? My jobs are small, never an entire car, and I am a hobbiest...not a professional.
John Murrill

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:23 pm
1000-2000 RPM

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:25 am
get one with an adjustable rpm.. and set it to 1500-1800 rpm... slower on curved surfaces or something with alot of edges/mouldings.

buy a quality snap-on or craftsman buffer, they last longer :)

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:35 pm
I have heard alot of guys rave about the Makita 9227 C. Variable speed, with a 8" sanding disk is the only way to go when stripping paint from the vehicle.

My 2-cents.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:31 pm
i wont ever use a makita sander to go to bare metal again i ended up warping my hood and i smack myself for it. Its not noticeble but if you touch a certain part of it it makes a popping noise which i suspect means its warped
If its not clunking its usually thumping

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:05 pm
What about these ???

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=92623

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=46507

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:11 pm
I actually own the second one which is the 11 amp. model. It can do a great job especially for the price. The only downside to is that by the time you have cut and buffed a whole car you can really "feel it" in your muscles and joints because that rascal is heavy. Combine it with quality foam or wool pads, fiddle around with your speed some, do some test panels and it can match any other buffer on the market. I'm a big guy so I like the extra heft myself. I don't find myself putting any excess pressure on it to get the job done.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:28 pm
DarrelK wrote:I actually own the second one which is the 11 amp. model. It can do a great job especially for the price. The only downside to is that by the time you have cut and buffed a whole car you can really "feel it" in your muscles and joints because that rascal is heavy. Combine it with quality foam or wool pads, fiddle around with your speed some, do some test panels and it can match any other buffer on the market. I'm a big guy so I like the extra heft myself. I don't find myself putting any excess pressure on it to get the job done.

How often do you use it, I can't imagine using it a lot myself, but I just want to get an idea if the motor can handle the jobs of like a whole car.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:47 pm
I use it for some spot work probably once a month or so and appear to be doing a whole car every year to year and a half. I don't think a hobbyist doing a car a year would burn it up for quite some time. Do keep in mind this thing is only $25 too. It's a lot of bang for little bucks.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:35 pm
I purchased this unit > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90820 a few months ago....I think it works pretty good considering the price.
Next

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail