Afraid to sand...just going to buff??

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
Location: Western North Carolina...not the end of the world, but you can see it from here
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:12 pm
I know this is close to blasphemy to you old hands and pros.....but I really think I am just going to buff my last clearcoat effort. I got it pretty smooth (for me), and the main problem is some dust nibs. I tried sanding with 1500, then 2000 on the rear hatch and found that i was creating more problems that i was solving. It just seemed to highlight flaws that were not obvious before, plus the area around the spoiler that i avoided now looks different with a fairly clear line where I stopped sanding.

I tried a small section of the hood with just a black wool pad and Presta Ultra Cutting Cream at about 3 1/2 on the buffer followed by the blue wool pad with Presta Swirl Remover at a slower speed. That section actually looks better than the sanded rear hatch panel did after i buffed it...and I plan to go over it all with a final glaze and a soft Meguires foam pad.

I have tried sanding for a month now and resprayed twice...I just cannot get it to look any good at all. I guess it boils down to what someone said about what is good enough for you...and my perfection meter is getting lower all the time. This process gives me good shine but will it affect how is looks over time? I think I will buff the whole car this was and see what happens. I have tried different papers, sanding blocks, even bought a somewhat useless palm DA without much luck other than to make things worse.

Is this just an impatient rookie point of view or do others share this little dilemma??

I have enjoyed every part of this project until now...I just want to be through with it so that I can go on to assembling the rest of the car before warm weather.

:knockout: :knockout:
1972 Datsun 240Z with '82 L28 Turbo fuel injection

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:25 pm
The part I like the least....but to do it and do it right you need to master it and be patient. The ultimate pay off is to have the pleasure of a shiny trash and peel free finish.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:21 am
Remember, sanding removes orange peel and trash from the clear.
Taking your time, moving slow and using enough compound gives you great results.

I have a video on here some where of me buffing a hood,,,I dont have time to find it right now. I gotta go.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:00 am
OldDupontGuy wrote:Remember, sanding removes orange peel and trash from the clear.
Taking your time, moving slow and using enough compound gives you great results.

I have a video on here some where of me buffing a hood,,,I dont have time to find it right now. I gotta go.

:goodpost:

I understand your fears but if you tackle a 8" x 8" area at a time with each grit and check your progress often you will be fine.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:24 am
Since this car has had three clear coat sessions with massive orange peel, I suspect the color sanding that this car has had might have undone some of the previous straightening accomplished by block sanding the primer.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:43 pm
OldDupontGuy wrote:Remember, sanding removes orange peel and trash from the clear. I have a video on here some where of me buffing a hood,,,I dont have time to find it right now. I gotta go.

It's one of my bookmarked "go to" threads. Thanks again Rick.
Here's the buffing video page, just scroll down:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16404&start=70

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:23 pm
Found this old thread on the topic as well. viewtopic.php?t=10555&highlight=buffathon
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:13 pm
Ill never understand why guys spend so much money on sand paper and compound to make a car shine?

If you listen to the the salesmen that sell the products,,,you will go broke!

Its NOT Rocket science.

Sand the car, or panel with 1500 grit, use 3M super Duty Compound with a gray foam pad, and then swirl remover or glaze if you think you need to,,,,your done!

Its that easy!

Ill never understand WHY guys think they need to sand a panel with three different grits of sandpaper,,,and then use three different kinds of compound.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

No Turning Back
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:02 am
OldDupontGuy wrote:Ill never understand why guys spend so much money on sand paper and compound to make a car shine?

If you listen to the the salesmen that sell the products,,,you will go broke!

Its NOT Rocket science.

Sand the car, or panel with 1500 grit, use 3M super Duty Compound with a gray foam pad, and then swirl remover or glaze if you think you need to,,,your done!

Its that easy!

Ill never understand WHY guys think they need to sand a panel with three different grits of sandpaper,,,and then use three different kinds of compound.

We keep telling them ODG but they won't listen ! :knockout:

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:29 pm
O-Well..................

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com
Next

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail