scuffing,shooting,&blending

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:29 pm
im scuffing my old paint with 220 wetsand followed by 400. i am also going to reshoot over my old paint with another color. but, i have bare metal showing and bondo, which will be primered over, but not over the old paint. and was wondering will my paint blend in at the end. like will my paint have lighter, or darker shades over the primered spots?

and will the visible scratches from the 400 grit sand paper be visible, when shot with the new paint?

old color is red, new color that i am going to reshoot will be black.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:16 am
RED! AARRRRG!!! prime your bare spots and then use a good sealer over the whole car. I've worked over some reds that will bleed through almost anything.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:23 am
Even black?

Just asking... personally I can count the number of black over red repaints I've done on, uh... zero... fingers....

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:01 am
LOL!! heh.. well then if i cant do that..then maybe sanding the whole car down to bare metal, will probably be my best results.

u guys know a cheaper way to do this? but still with good results?

will painting it over with with the same color work?even with some spots primered?or must the whole car be primered b4 i reshoot the whole car?

and what if i primered over old bc? which i prolly will not do.

thx for the info cause i was going to paint it black over red very soon haha

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:12 pm
A gallon of sealer is not really going to break the bank. In addition to the insurance against problems with the red, it will also give you a uniform base to apply the color. Since black tends to magnify every imperfection, a coat of primer/sealer will almost guarantee a better overall job.

After a couple of poor experiences going over a red base, my personal rule is to automatically seal it well.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:27 pm
My experiance with black although somewhat limited, is that yes it will magnify panel defects(read dents) but you can hide all kinds of trash in it and it will still look good. As long as that trash is not red, white or something like that. Even sandscrathes that would look horrible in a metallic job disappear with a solid color base/clear. Not that this an excuse for poor prep work. Definately go for the sealer, very cheap insurance against bad things.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail