cure time before sanding and buffing clear coat

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:15 pm
How long should I let the Nason clear coat cure before sanding and buffing? One light coat clear and one wet coat. Buffed and blended with 2000 wet or dry 3M paper, 3M rubbing compound, and some Meguris swirl remover if needed. I painted a truck hood and sanded and buffed after 18 hours. I had no issues with uncured clear, The job I am doing now will need more blending. The top of the hatch on a Ford Escape. I want to finish it asap, but doing it right is more important.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:35 pm
Get the tech sheet and do what DuPont says. If that's not good enough just wait 24 hrs. That should be plenty. Don't wait too long or you will make your cut and buff more difficult. I think the sheet says overnight at room temp or 6 hours at 70 degrees after a 30 minute bake at 140 degrees.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:01 pm
Tech sheets are important and should be followed if you have one but most of the time when a question such as this is asked it is because the person does not have the information for whatever reason. Simply telling someone to follow the tech sheet doesn't do them much good. If they had the tech sheet sitting in front of them I am sure they would not take the time to post the question. "Follow the tech sheet" seems to be the only answer some have to offer and is a very frustrating answer to anyone. I guess technically that "Follow the tech sheet" could be the answer to any possible question that could be posted but it gets very old. Not trying to be a butthead, just bringing this to attention.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:42 pm
Many tech sheets are available online, or from the jobbers selling the products. Online you'll find PPG, DuPont, BASF, Kirker, Transtar, **********, and a host of others.
Nason tech sheets can be found here:

http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/vis ... nason.html

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:36 am
jhogan2424 wrote:Tech sheets are important and should be followed if you have one but most of the time when a question such as this is asked it is because the person does not have the information for whatever reason. Simply telling someone to follow the tech sheet doesn't do them much good. If they had the tech sheet sitting in front of them I am sure they would not take the time to post the question. "Follow the tech sheet" seems to be the only answer some have to offer and is a very frustrating answer to anyone. I guess technically that "Follow the tech sheet" could be the answer to any possible question that could be posted but it gets very old. Not trying to be a butthead, just bringing this to attention.

Considering Nason has at least 8 clears listed follow the tech sheet is the best answer. Many ppl that post either don't know how to get tech sheets (Google the product number and add PDF most of the time), or they are too lazy to search it out, or something. Some ppl think they can sway from the tech sheets just because somebody else did and it worked once. If I try to buff overall clear in the same time I would buff my 90 minute production clear there would be a major disaster. Not trying to be a butt head but follow the tech sheet is great advice to an amatuer seeking online info in a forum. He never gave the numbers on the clear.........

:knockout:

:pcorn:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:03 pm
follow the tech sheet is great advice to an amatuer seeking online info in a forum.

I consider that one of the top ten pieces of advice I've gotten in these forums. It also comes in handy if you're not sure of what products to use. By looking up the tech sheets before you buy anything, you may find one product suits your situation better than others.
Clearcoats are a great example. Some stay soft enough to cut and buff easily for days, others get hard quickly. You may want to choose a clearcoat based on the time frame available to you.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:52 am
Every brand of clear I have ever sprayed could be buffed the next day. The most important thing is not to buff it to soon...
If the temp in your spray area dips down during the night (Below 65 degrees) set it out in the sun the next day and buff it late that afternoon.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:22 am
:goodpost: :rockon:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail