circle scratches on the clear after using da

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:23 pm
I am using a palm sander with a 3/32 orbit with a purple backing pad(3m part number 05778) and a interface pad (05777). I have some bad orange peel so I started with 1000g hookit discs and then went over it with 1500g.

I tried it wet and got the sanding scratches and then I tried it dry and still I am getting the sanding scraches. when I was doing it wet I would go over a 2ft by 2ft area and as soon as the area turned gray with sanding grit I would squeegee the area off and spray the bottom of the sandpaper with a spray bottle. when I did it dry I would use a rag to wipe the sanding residue off the panel and the sandpaper after a few seconds of sanding

I am trying to get a good finish but the scratches can be seen if a floresent light reflects in the paint

any help would be greatly appreciated

also I am using perfect-it number 1 rubbing compound and I have also tried super duty compound but that seems to leave scratches on the clear. the clear I used was ********** universal
in the immortal words of Frank Sinatra "That's Life"

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:57 pm
How much compound are you using in a 2' area? Are you moving the buffer 1 foot every seven seconds?
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:22 pm
I am affraid that if I move that slowly I will burn through the edges

you can only see the scratches at an angle in the reflection of a floresent light

I know I am bieng picky but I want it as close to perfect as possible

I could not see any of the scratches out in the sunlight

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:38 pm
That is the travel rate of your buffer. You should be using more compound........

Ive got a post on here somewhere about buffing a hood. You should check it out.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:06 pm
First of all DO NOT use super duty on ********** universal. Universal is a softer clear and superduty is just way to coarse a compound.

2nd are you using a wool or foam buffing pad?

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:44 pm
I put super duty on the shelf yrs ago. It is aggressive. Good on hard clear. But I like buffing while it is still soft.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:45 pm
Here's an old link back when I was trying to get the R/T buffed out: viewtopic.php?t=10555&highlight=buffathon
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:09 pm
I don't use anything BUT Super Duty. I have used it on every clear Ive ever sprayed with no problems at all.
Its a great compound if you know how to use it...Its also a lot faster than the VERY expensive 3 step system they sell now......

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:35 am
I have been using foam pads and the 3m 3 step process but I just cannot get rid of the little scratches left behind by the da

should I be using a wool pad and some of that meguires 105. also could I have been waiting too long to clean my panel and my sandpaper and getting deep scratches from the sanding residue.

I am at a loss here because I usually just wetsand by hand with 1500 and never had any of these problems before

what would you guys do at this time to get the scratches out :worthy:

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:56 am
Hopefully your scratches are 1500 grit or less and preferably 2000 or less.
Using a rotary buffer and keeping rpms in the 1200 range to start out.
Megs 105 and a twisted wool pad. Work a small (18" x 18") area until scratches are no longer visible.
Megs 205 on a Lake Country CCS White pad will refine the finish.
Menzerna 85RD on a Lake Country CCS gray/black pad for polishing.
Be sure the car is clean before you start, be sure to wipe off any remaining compound with a Microfiber towel before moving to the next step.

********** universal clear is meant for show cars and is a softer clear that buffs quite easily. With the above steps it should be like glass on top of paint when done.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31
Next

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail