New Paint job - orange peel/not orange peel?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:26 pm
I've just had a new metallic clear coat full paint job.

It was prepared very well (I saw the stages) sanded, primer, metallic and two coats of Mercedes clear coat (which I know to be a very hard coating).

Looks great, except when you look at the side panels they reflect objects with a kind of slight uneven mottled look. The paint looks fine, flat as a pancake. The hood and roof are great, they reflect the trees & lamposts crystal clear.

I don't know if this is the 'orange peel' that I see mentioned on other threads.

My question is 'so what is it?,' and can it be buffed out safely? I rather not have to resort to wet sanding, but I really would like the sides to look as good as the hood and roof.

;-P

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:59 pm
Are you talking about a mottling in the clear or a mottled look to the metallic itself? Orange peel is an effect referring to the clear actually looking like the skin of an orange. Whenever someone talks to me about mottling on a paint job it is more about the metallic not laying down the same all over on a panel. A pic. shot down the side of your car would help here.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:15 pm
Ok; just have to wait for some decent sun and I'll be back with some pics.

;-p
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:40 pm
Ok; I haven't managed to get a pic of my car, but I found this pic on a detailing forum and it's pretty much what I am talking about. No real problem up close, but looking at the reflections and they are sort of bumpy.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/membe...673_88_full.jpg

Paint is new-on in the last few weeks - using a low bake.

Is there anything I can do with a rotary buffer whilst the paint is fresh?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:03 am
Sorry, Paul that link takes me nowhere. Maybe someone else can access it here.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:01 pm
Doesn't work for me ether.. :roll:

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail