New to Everything

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:36 pm
Hi everyone..my name is Mark and I'm pretty new to the autobody field, but I'm tryin to learn everything that I can. I have a 1990 Kawasaki zx-10 motorcycle that I'm rebuilding...the mechanics I know, but the body work is,like I said all new to me....I want to start stripping the gas tank paint off....my question is...should I do this by hand?? and.......what's the process that I should use to do this..ie..grit, sandpaper...ext......I'd like to hear from anyone that would like to give me some advice or more....Thanks again.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:18 pm
Mark...

Welcome to the list/forum...

Suggest a couple things for you here since you are a newcomer to bodywork, painting, buffing, polishing, and last but not least this list.

Go into Body & Paint instead of Color Sanding, Buffing, Polishing, Etc where you posted your general questions and click on the very first post you see there which deals with what grit to use for what...It is a very detailed article and will most likely answer any question you will have on the subject of sanding..

Would also like to suggest you go up on top of this page and click on "search" and enter words pertaining to your question to pull up all previous questions, answers, suggestions, comments, etc on that particular subject from what we refer to as the archives before you post a new question that has been covered many times on this list..No point re-inventing the wheel as they say right?

I have been on the list less than a year but have gone thru all previous postings where I learned more than I ever wanted to know about painting and bodywork.. <G>

Afteer you have played around on the site and explored "search", if you still have specific questions about a subject all on this list will be more than happy to help you best we can..

Have a nice holiday and best of luck with your project..

frank n texas
frank n texas

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:24 pm
thank you Frank for the help..I'll try that first

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:30 pm
More than welcome...
I bet I spent a week just reading all the previous postings...Man there is a world of information on this site and a gazallion years of experience, shortcuts, safety ideas, warnings, tips, etc...

Better than going to a bodyshop/painting college for 4 years...LOL

BTW...As I was reading when I ran across info I thought I would eventually need I printed it out and put it in a master book with tab dividers..I have this out in my shop since I do not want my computer in that enviroment..

Have a good en...

frank n texas
frank n texas

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail